• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[SOLD] Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Used infrequently in the office only.
Comes with brand new earpads (with stickers on) after the original ones got unglued and Dan Clark sent me new replacements which I have not used.
Original box and all felt pad inserts are included.
Cosmetic condition is great, with a couple of minor scuffs that are barely noticeable.
Headphones sound great, especially when EQ'd with oratory1990's presents.
Selling because I switched to in-ears for the office.

Available for pickup in Seattle Area, free shipping anywhere in US.

Attachments

• IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 65

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wonderful set of cans, amazing clarity with those EQ settings and surprisingly light on the head. Absolutely love mine!

OP
F

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Wonderful set of cans, amazing clarity with those EQ settings and surprisingly light on the head. Absolutely love mine!
I like to add a 2dB extra bass boost on top of oratory1990's preset to compensate for the low-distortion bass that is perceived as "not punchy enough" when one is used to the typical distorted bass of most dynamic headphones (e.g. Sennheiser).

Here's data to explain the "not punchy bass" issue which I found to be the most common complaint about this and other DCA models -

Aeon RT has under 0.75% bass distortion at 104dB while having bass very close to Harman, i.e. don't need any boost to match the target:
Dan Clark Audio ÆON RT Measurements Closed distortion.png
Dan Clark Audio ÆON RT Measurements Closed.png

Sennheiser HD650 (my other favorite headphones) has distortion up to 5% at 104dB, while they need a significant (up to 10dB) boost in their bass with EQ to get to hit Harman target and at these levels distortion is skyrocketing even higher (see 114dB green line going way way above in the graph).
Sennheiser HD650 Measurements Relative Distortion THD.png
Sennheiser HD650 Measurements Frequency Response.png

From psychoacoustics we know that distortion in audio is perceived as being loud as loud sounds distort our hearing, so when these headphones are tuned to the same target and played at same volume, the HD650 will be perceived as having "strong and punchy bass" compared to Aeon RT which has clean and non-distorted bass.
I did this test btw and can confirm this is exactly what I heard. Headphone enthusiasts should definitely experience non-distorted bass to check out how they like it, it's a fairly rate feat among headphones on the market.

Btw here's Amir's review of Aeon RT which was claimed to be (almost?) identical to the Drop Closed X version: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-rt-review-closed-headphone.19393/

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For me it depends on the program material. My personal idea of "flat" includes 2-3 dB less at 3 kHz, so I cut that region, then turn up the volume on my SH-8s.

In a way, we end up at the same endpoint--or at least kind of, I think? As someone who used HD600s for 14 years, tried HE-400is for a while, then went back to some HD-6xx before I bought these, I totally agree with you. The tonality of the bass is both much cleaner and more representative of what I hear in a proper hall with a large orchestra.

OP
F

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Offering $20 discount for local pickup anywhere near Seattle - for $330 you get a lightly used Aeon Closed X with brand new earpads.

Top Bottom