• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Freya+

win

SineWave

Here is a volume knob with a more visible indicator. Looks to be a perfect size too.

mxuteuk Silver Aluminum Alloy Potentiometer Control Knob Volume Audio Electric Guitar Bass Screw Type 34 x 17mm (dh) KNOB-03-34SR https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07TVRC19P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_7B1EFbTV82P25

Now I want to get the pre-amp just so I can change the knob. Be Bold and bling with some Gold!
( JK...or am I? :) )

613qQWz0SlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
To my ears, there is a difference between the passive, active and tube stages, though from in room measurements, I can't actually see it. *shrug*

I am sensitive to sibilance and my setup can sound bright and become fatiguing very quickly with the active buffer. With the stock tubes, it's basically perfect, though the tubes can introduce audible distortion (rarely, in my experience, but since it happened last night, I figured I'd note it). I also really love how much gain the tubes introduce. My amps are *just* enough that when watching anything on HBO Max, I have the pre-amp cranked to the maximum volume with the tube gain on, or else it's simply not loud enough to be enjoyable. I don't know why HBO Max has such a low volume.

I'd like to play with some NOS tubes, just to see if I can measure any differences, but the "good" ones are so pricey.

SineWave

3 questions:

1. Is all that clicking sound caused from changing the volume going to send any noise/static to the speaker later on? Similar to old school potentiometers typical in most 1980s and older receivers and integrated amps? Wondering if long term reliability should be of concern.

2. It has a "relay-switched stepped attenuator". Is this the same type of volume control as Parasound's P6 "analog resistor ladder volume control" or are these 2 different types of technologies?

3. Freya+ can be ran without using the tubes? This is what I understand and just want to know if I can actually remove them and still use the unit?

I'm at a toss up with the Freya+ and the Parasound. I want to get more of a neutral/faithful sound (in = out) and also not worry if tubes in my preamp, amp or CDP are going out. I just want things to sound accurate and just always work.

bartgign

Is anybody know what is the max output level in the Freya+. I know the Gustard P26 have 19V, homme much for the Freya. I didnt find this spec ???

Helicopter

Major Contributor
3 questions:

1. Is all that clicking sound caused from changing the volume going to send any noise/static to the speaker later on? Similar to old school potentiometers typical in most 1980s and older receivers and integrated amps? Wondering if long term reliability should be of concern.

2. It has a "relay-switched stepped attenuator". Is this the same type of volume control as Parasound's P6 "analog resistor ladder volume control" or are these 2 different types of technologies?

3. Freya+ can be ran without using the tubes? This is what I understand and just want to know if I can actually remove them and still use the unit?

I'm at a toss up with the Freya+ and the Parasound. I want to get more of a neutral/faithful sound (in = out) and also not worry if tubes in my preamp, amp or CDP are going out. I just want things to sound accurate and just always work.
1. No. That sound is just mechanical. I does not and will not get to speakers.

2. No. Ladder adds resistors in series as you go through settings. Steps go from one pair of resistors to another for each setting, so signal is passing through fewer components, which is good, but makes the switch more complex since the ladder only moves along one side of the circuit.

3. Probably, or you could just get a Freya S on B stock and closeouts for less money. They have been in stock for over a week.

I second what Helicopter said. Grab a Freya S off B stock.

Running the Freya OG without tubes was duscussed in the HeadFi thread a while back and Schiit said not to do it. That might not hold for Freya + since it switches the entire tube stage off when you run passive or solid state buffer. But still, there's no reason to pull them out just for the hell of it, leave them in even if you don't use them.

In terms of the reliability of the stepped attenuator, I bought the OG Freya as soon as it came to market and have been using it daily for 3 years, for tv duties as well, without a single hitch. For one thing, relays don't wear like potentiometers do, there's no whiper dragging on carbon, just a switch clicking into place.

I can't comment on the Parasound though.

Cheers,
Seb

jumper

Can anybody please educate me or comment on running dual subwoofers from the single ended output at the same time as running the balanced outputs for the mains? I'm wondering if the balanced output would be affected in anyway if the Freya+ is also playing playing the RCA's to the subs. Is there an issue with the 2V vs 4V regarding the RCA and XLR outputs being used simultaneously? Thanks.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Can anybody please educate me or comment on running dual subwoofers from the single ended output at the same time as running the balanced outputs for the mains? I'm wondering if the balanced output would be affected in anyway if the Freya+ is also playing playing the RCA's to the subs. Is there an issue with the 2V vs 4V regarding the RCA and XLR outputs being used simultaneously? Thanks.
It is fine. The outputs are independent and they are on all the time. Everything will work like you want it to if you set it up like this. If you are running it in passive mode then there will be a little drop in output, but not enough to matter in practice or cause any issues.

jumper

It is fine. The outputs are independent and they are on all the time. Everything will work like you want it to if you set it up like this. If you are running it in passive mode then there will be a little drop in output, but not enough to matter in practice or cause any issues.

Thanks for the quick reply. I run my speakers full range but my subs have high pass/Slave XLR outputs (Rythmik XLR2) so theoretically I could use the Freya's XLR output to the subs first then out to my main amp, all balanced - would that be more ideal than sending separate signals straight from the Freya (XLR + RCA)? I don't have the cables on hand to try testing the difference.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply. I run my speakers full range but my subs have high pass/Slave XLR outputs (Rythmik XLR2) so theoretically I could use the Freya's XLR output to the subs first then out to my main amp, all balanced - would that be more ideal than sending separate signals straight from the Freya (XLR + RCA)? I don't have the cables on hand to try testing the difference.
If you go through the subs then everything is balanced and you have the option to try the crossover in the subs. If you use RCAs then cables might be a little cleaner and you don't have anything in the signal path to the amp. Either one is probably fine. I would probably run RCAs to the subs if I knew I wasn't going to use the high pass filtered outputs.

jumper

If you go through the subs then everything is balanced and you have the option to try the crossover in the subs. If you use RCAs then cables might be a little cleaner and you don't have anything in the signal path to the amp. Either one is probably fine. I would probably run RCAs to the subs if I knew I wasn't going to use the high pass filtered outputs.

Thanks again... I'll order some cables to give it a real test. But ideally I agree with you - better all direct from the Freya vs pittstopping at the subs, even if that means RCA to the subs.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks again... I'll order some cables to give it a real test. But ideally I agree with you - better all direct from the Freya vs pittstopping at the subs, even if that means RCA to the subs.
Don't spend too much on the cables. Expensive ones don't work better, they just look and feel nicer.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read a couple comments stating Freya+ owners could hear a difference in output level when switching between passive and SS input buffer stages. I can't hear a difference at all between them. Could it have something to do with whether using bal vs unbalanced sources?

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
I've read a couple comments stating Freya+ owners could hear a difference in output level when switching between passive and SS input buffer stages. I can't hear a difference at all between them. Could it have something to do with whether using bal vs unbalanced sources?

It's ever so slightly louder with the SS input buffer (I do use the balanced outs as well as the unbalanced for my sub though I don't know if both levels go up - it's not a huge difference by any means) and I've found that I notice a bit of a sharpness at the top end with it on as well. I leave it off or use the tubes. I have no use for the SS input buffer.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have another question. I'm outputting from my AVR mains via rca using rca to XLR cables (I bought those prior to the Freya+ when I needed XLR for the balanced inputs on my Purifi amp). Would there be a benefit in using rca cables from the AVR L/R to one of the rca inputs on the Freya?

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was gonna post a picture of Freya Tingley, or a link to a site about her, for example the IMDB page, and add a clever comment such as "Here's a Freya who hasn't been discontinued." I was gonna do that, but then decided it would be poor judgement. Nevertheless, she is definitely the Freya by which all other Freyas should be judged. Too bad you have no idea what I'm talking about.

TheGhostOfEugeneDebs

Forum Donor
I have another question. I'm outputting from my AVR mains via rca using rca to XLR cables (I bought those prior to the Freya+ when I needed XLR for the balanced inputs on my Purifi amp). Would there be a benefit in using rca cables from the AVR L/R to one of the rca inputs on the Freya?

Only if there's something wrong with the other cables or you need to free up the output. Output levels are the same. I sometimes use my sub with the RCA out with my amps on the XLR.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only if there's something wrong with the other cables or you need to free up the output. Output levels are the same. I sometimes use my sub with the RCA out with my amps on the XLR.
Thanks. I didn't think there was a difference, as the cables are converting the rca to xlr so 2V I assume?

Top Bottom