• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For a subwoofer, any difference between UcD and NCore?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Short answer, no. However, a lot will depend on what driver and how hard (SPL) you're really looking to drive it.

Details are helpful ;)

I use an NC502MP to drive my UM18-22 and Ciare 18.00SW without any issues. Originally I planned on BTL but do not need it although the next time I set up the system (moving) I'll probably do it just to load balance the module. Does it really do anything other than piece of mind? Nah.

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is very different than an Ultimax. It's on the lighter and stiffer side, 15", and excursion range is +/- 20mm. SPL is roughly 107 dB @ 20 Hz in a vented enclosure.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is very different than an Ultimax. It's on the lighter and stiffer side, 15", and excursion range is +/- 20mm. SPL is roughly 107 dB @ 20 Hz in a vented enclosure.
Eh, it's really an electrical function not stiffer/lighter. Also, is that the SPL that YOU are tuning for or just the spec of the driver?

I'd think that @hardisj can provide you with more help as he might have tested it.

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Either way, I can't think of a reason why the two amps would produce a different sound or frequency response or other noticeable differences, but I'm not an amp expert so I thought I'd ask here.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Either way, I can't think of a reason why the two amps would produce a different sound or frequency response or other noticeable differences, but I'm not an amp expert so I thought I'd ask here.
They won't...

OP
Chromatischism

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see a small difference in Efficiency: 92% (UcD) vs 93% (NCore). From Hypex, "An idling UcD amplifier draws up to 2% of rated power". That's all I can find.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ability to detect distortion is lowest in the bass frequencies b/c of the masking effect. So I would think the higher cost of the cleaner NCore is not justified. Most subs use and ICE powered subwoofer amp.

Top Bottom