• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focusrite Forte in Linux (and a bit on the Scarletts)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I've previously outlined how the Forte currently has essentially no controls in linux, how that stops it being usable as a measurement interface, and that I was trying to do something about it. I've now had enough success that I think it's worth sharing, at least for anyone who can cope with patching and recompiling the kernel. I can now control the mixer matrix and the outputs, which means I can now use it for line level measurement. You can find it at github - I've forked the whole kernel as it'll make it easier to submit further down the line, but the alterations are under sound/usb. There's some documentation in the wiki section, and the issue tracker should cover the bits that don't work properly yet. I've started by adding the Forte to the existing Scarlett Gen 1 mixer as they're closely related, at least in the mixer matrix and outputs.

It would be useful to know if it works for other people, either so I know what I need to fix or as a reason for submitting for inclusion in the kernel. It would also be useful to know that it doesn't break the existing Scarlett Gen 1 mixer support where it currently exists, as I don't have a Scarlett to test with. @Blumlein 88 already noted that the existing support doesn't work properly with the 18i20 Gen 1.

If you've got a Scarlett Gen 2 you might want to check Geoffrey's recent work on adding linux support. You can find the code at github and a pair of linuxmusicians threads where he's discussing it.

Top Bottom