• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Clear Review (headphone)

Peterinvan

Hello,
I'm looking for a amp for my Clears. I actually listen out of my laptop and it's pretty nice but I think I can improve my listening : i don't know the world of hifi so...i just want to discover, learn and enjoy :

• Low volume listening
  • All kind of musics
  • Maybe a little bit more of soundstage
  • Maybe a little bit warmer
  • Small device or elegant (the headphones are in my living room...which belongs to my wife).
  • <300$.
Thanks for your suggestions !
I am enjoying my new FiiO K7 (with a LPS). Drives my Elegias (and other phones) with ease. Should meet all your requirements above. :)

Bibo

I own my Clears for more than 6 years now, they are still my daily drivers. I only switch to other headphones (closed back or even NC) if I have to, because family live takes its toll.
So after 6, years, what are my key points:
Pros:
- They are still the best sounding headphones I ever heard. These are de facto the only headphones, that sound 100% "right" for me.
- They used to be very comfortable. This has changed somewhat, see cons.
- They do not clip at my listening volume.
Cons:
- Earpads wear off very fast and they are laughably expensive (230€ a pair). Luckily you can get these from China for 12€ by now, probably from the same factory as there is no noticable difference in quality.
- Cables are too stiff and quality is poor. The balanced cable broke after only two months of usage. Could not RMA it, because I did not not use it from the beginning (I did not have a balanced amp then). Official replacement is 230€ too. Ridiculous.
- The headband snapped recently. This seems to be a common problem, because the headbands are somewhat overengineered. Sourced a replacement headband from China for 50€ that does the job, but comfort degraded a bit (see above).

So was the investment of 1499€ in 2018 worth it for me? Definetely yes, because I had that money and I love my Clears for their sound and there is no alternative for me. But I do not like to be scammed. And the price for replacement pads and cables is a scam. Period. And build quality is disappointing too for that price.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I own my Clears for more than 6 years now, they are still my daily drivers. I only switch to other headphones (closed back or even NC) if I have to, because family live takes its toll.
So after 6, years, what are my key points:
Pros:
- They are still the best sounding headphones I ever heard. These are de facto the only headphones, that sound 100% "right" for me.
- They used to be very comfortable. This has changed somewhat, see cons.
- They do not clip at my listening volume.
Cons:
- Earpads wear off very fast and they are laughably expensive (230€ a pair). Luckily you can get these from China for 12€ by now, probably from the same factory as there is no noticable difference in quality.
- Cables are too stiff and quality is poor. The balanced cable broke after only two months of usage. Could not RMA it, because I did not not use it from the beginning (I did not have a balanced amp then). Official replacement is 230€ too. Ridiculous.
- The headband snapped recently. This seems to be a common problem, because the headbands are somewhat overengineered. Sourced a replacement headband from China for 50€ that does the job, but comfort degraded a bit (see above).

So was the investment of 1499€ in 2018 worth it for me? Definetely yes, because I had that money and I love my Clears for their sound and there is no alternative for me. But I do not like to be scammed. And the price for replacement pads and cables is a scam. Period. And build quality is disappointing too for that price.

I also own Clear OG, they are tuned in a certain way that makes them sound what I would describe as "Light on their feet" I enjoy them the way they are out of the box. I got rid of the stock cable for a $65 Periapt cable a while back. But when I want more meat on the bones, I grab the LCD-X.

Top Bottom