• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Aria 906, AMP / Pre-amp with Audiophonics EVO-SABRE

T35t

Hi!

I have lurked ASR for a long time and love all the reviews and this science minded community:).

I own a pair of Aria 906s speakers driven by an old Denon AVR-1910 that I bought 2nd hand when I was student. It has no streaming functionality what-so-ever which is why I recently ordered the Audiophonics EVO-SABRE dac because of the convenient 1 box solution with Rpi4, balanced xlr, and good reviews. I want to get rid of the Denon since I will never use 7:1 surround and it's too bulky.

I noticed that Class D amps have come a long way (such as the Purifi and nCore amps) and I am eyeballing the various Audiophonics HPA-T400ET (Stereo). I plan to upgrade gradually.

My main concern however, is how I would properly connect my active XTZ subwoofer in the chain. I could simplify by going with a slimmed down integrated amp and bypass its dac. But the idea of having a lot of power in a D-amp that can handle an upgrade to floorstanding speakers is something I like. So in this case, I would need a preamp where I can connect my active sub. But I don't find so many well regarded preamps in the review index. The dacs and power amps seem to have the spotlight.

Rpi4 > Audiophonics EVO-SABRE dac > ???? > Audiophonics HPA-T400ET > Focal Aria 906.

I don't want to overspend and would prefer to buy second hand and not spend more than like 1500$. So units like the NAD M23, M33 is out of the question here in Sweden. Im not foreign to DIYs either as long as does not require a bachelor in electronics engineering. Since I want to use CamillaDSP with my Rpi4 for room correction, MiniDSP will also feel a bit redundant.

What amp/pre-amp can you recommend? How can I put this all together with my active sub?

Kind regards

delta76

Major Contributor
If you are playing digital, why would you need a preamp? I am unfamiliar with the DAC but it seems a good one. you don't need a preamp

chips666

If you are playing digital, why would you need a preamp? I am unfamiliar with the DAC but it seems a good one. you don't need a preamp
XLR to AMP and RCA to SUB both are actice
Enjoy...

OP
T

T35t

You are completely correct and logical. I should have been more clear. For some reason I thought I wouldn't have nice tonal control for treble etc, but like you said, this is best done at the digital source. I haven't owned much audio electronics and relied mostly on integrated where I had everything.

XLR to AMP and RCA to SUB both are actice
Enjoy...
It didn't occur to me that I could use the two remaining RCA outputs into the sub when using the XLR in. I noticed that some amplifiers have a switch where you could toggle between XLR/RCA. For some reason thought it applied here too, but the switch must have been for XLR/RCA input, correct?:] (and thank you!)

Top Bottom