• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Flat pack speakers and veneering

woofersus

Audio Company
I agree. People either want an unfinished flat-pack so they can assemble and finish and feel like they built it, or they want nice custom cabinets that don't look homemade and have no carpentry chops. In between is a super-narrow range.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way I didn’t mean in anyway that you should learn Speaker design. There is an abundance of DIY designs out there already.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think I'd ever use this service, as a DIY speaker dude, part of the fun is doing it all myself.

I will say there is a hole in the market for flatpacks. Tons of kits out there but pretty much no flatpacks for them.

OP
B
I appreciate all these replies. I will definitely be looking into pre-designed, but not pre-built cabinets to basically be a business that isn't quite a speaker manufacturer, but is also sort of speaker manufacturer.

Or work with the companies that already exist doing this work.

Sounds like there is little to no interest in having a pre-veneered flat pack or pre-veneered hardware-less built cabs.

OP
B
I don't think I'd ever use this service, as a DIY speaker dude, part of the fun is doing it all myself.

I will say there is a hole in the market for flatpacks. Tons of kits out there but pretty much no flatpacks for them.
Thanks. I don't have a CNC router, so this route (so far) isn't for me. That is, CNC'ing pre designed flat pack for other designs.

JPA

Forum Donor
Hi,

I am a woodworker who doesn't know a lot about audio and I was wondering how much interest there would be if I picked up a high quality flat pack speaker (leaving the electrical / speakers themselves up to the audio knowledgeable customers) and did a high quality veneer job on them?

I don't mind learning more about audio, finding good flat pack speakers , etc. However, I'll never be as knowledgeable as the ones how are highly passionate about the subject.

I also don't mind the idea of someone buying whatever they want, having me veneer them and send them back either re-flat packed or fully assembled. It's a lot easier veneer flat sheets than assembled speakers.

Anyway, just feeling this world out. Seeing what people want or are interested in. In other words, do people want high quality veneer work on flat pack speakers?

Thanks and cheers,

You also might want to post this on the Parts Express Tech forum.

OP
B

Like this kit?

An example of an expensive (to me) hardware set, but without a cabinet. Where DO these buyers go for the cabinet?

OP
B
Thank all of you so much.

I contacted Madisound and will be added to the contact list of cabinet builders. I'm getting excited about the possibilities...

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Hi, what do you think could be the price for a pair of speaker boxes 750x350x200mm, 25mm MDF, natural veneer, polyurethane coating? Excl. drivers, ports, filters etc. And for the 350x350x350mm sub? Something like this:

ncfe0ArEUCIZFO7wx0fijMQFumUpaAe5sGTsE51iVvl6TdZWQmPTOuDN9-yribS5xLSwNmiNDkfsC8ZOKNSOZzYqUICwWoB13Yha1lwP0YBClfpYzBS4mGCq142odX_cbrU259cH8faChunh3qGXrMojLPUv81FK9C75VNGlV6f50EbgyiJU4I0WkjSlBG-sKVNMnKyzmt_A1R_9H-od8Zqr_O7XLBX4i1GRBl52Kjb_8WUptDJifBo-xiUOmYPettGaofMngQbqOI_1FPBpWDsVmd9NJFY8eu6jc4QeE7SXmoH4l1vyKrMnClR3G5SxSdxZqlNYkfklFzlNA0BeYJGugLghMIs19Hsp0E2_Z-xqipOwg91-rquuVaSBUyJXAHQ0EcJ5lSHusinF0ArcB0fnJJPy9HVaEXlcSj6eRzHYkPOuPa7HGwgMewRnlXEfwCstdTja01cUxsQgYssyqluKavP_UibFtrVwF4WI9rvopvdLNlkb6uUOoW4cXrZvenhF4Nlsj_OnAwdNXK18pocHynDS5rjFRcSOqD4cftbmOPO6gMidV5tMDESCm5C4QA91BfUKtuKQve5DMbuseFseby6C-mfzHxQF52aYq-AcxOXoeIMM2HQtcl01TfdIsEvkK44JORdvPpTj6hHqijutQXG8PxtrcDC_2zZrJ5vRQHtFLjOMxBKJOHZiUS0NBWQtnZtN-PMxsFdx8HnxNSbRyNj_ZqFfbeEgvM1FLKbZyIfw3Zqx9DbqHqNe=w700-h933-no

OP
B
Hi, what do you think could be the price for a pair of speaker boxes 750x350x200mm, 25mm MDF, natural veneer, polyurethane coating? Excl. drivers, ports, filters etc. And for the 350x350x350mm sub? Something like this:

ncfe0ArEUCIZFO7wx0fijMQFumUpaAe5sGTsE51iVvl6TdZWQmPTOuDN9-yribS5xLSwNmiNDkfsC8ZOKNSOZzYqUICwWoB13Yha1lwP0YBClfpYzBS4mGCq142odX_cbrU259cH8faChunh3qGXrMojLPUv81FK9C75VNGlV6f50EbgyiJU4I0WkjSlBG-sKVNMnKyzmt_A1R_9H-od8Zqr_O7XLBX4i1GRBl52Kjb_8WUptDJifBo-xiUOmYPettGaofMngQbqOI_1FPBpWDsVmd9NJFY8eu6jc4QeE7SXmoH4l1vyKrMnClR3G5SxSdxZqlNYkfklFzlNA0BeYJGugLghMIs19Hsp0E2_Z-xqipOwg91-rquuVaSBUyJXAHQ0EcJ5lSHusinF0ArcB0fnJJPy9HVaEXlcSj6eRzHYkPOuPa7HGwgMewRnlXEfwCstdTja01cUxsQgYssyqluKavP_UibFtrVwF4WI9rvopvdLNlkb6uUOoW4cXrZvenhF4Nlsj_OnAwdNXK18pocHynDS5rjFRcSOqD4cftbmOPO6gMidV5tMDESCm5C4QA91BfUKtuKQve5DMbuseFseby6C-mfzHxQF52aYq-AcxOXoeIMM2HQtcl01TfdIsEvkK44JORdvPpTj6hHqijutQXG8PxtrcDC_2zZrJ5vRQHtFLjOMxBKJOHZiUS0NBWQtnZtN-PMxsFdx8HnxNSbRyNj_ZqFfbeEgvM1FLKbZyIfw3Zqx9DbqHqNe=w700-h933-no
This photo isn't showing up for me

M4BGRINGO

That's not hateful for a veneered and fully finished speaker. I've refinished some furniture and speakers in the past. I've also veneered some receiver cases. I know how time consuming it is. The problem you will run into here is, most of the members prefer their speakers to be as plastic and ugly as is possible to achieve with modern engineering.
Here are three speakers I built, plus the stands to raise the L&R. I did not want ugly speakers, so I spent a lot of time and money on veneer. It isn't impossible for us DIY'rs to make pretty stuff that sounds great too!
uLE3V5A.jpg

OP
B
That's amazing. So much sound. They look good!

Keep me in mind too for the entertainment console : ) (just kidding)

Godataloss

Here are three speakers I built, plus the stands to raise the L&R. I did not want ugly speakers, so I spent a lot of time and money on veneer. It isn't impossible for us DIY'rs to make pretty stuff that sounds great too!
uLE3V5A.jpg
Nice job! Now get on that cord management, lol. I cheat- I have a black velvet sheet over the back of my gear cabinet.

M4BGRINGO

Nice job! Now get on that cord management, lol. I cheat- I have a black velvet sheet over the back of my gear cabinet.
You're not the first person to say that!
And honestly, it is 100 times worse now!
I swapped the AVR, it is now sitting on a stool in front of everything.
A new Crown amp is on another stool right next to it.
Wires everywhere!
It's a work in progress. I have another set of speakers I am building then veneering, much larger than these. I am then going to rotate the stuff in the room 90* for a better sound stage, then tidy it all up.

Top Bottom