• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fireworks and animals

CapMan

Major Contributor
It’s absolute hell in the UK right now if you happen to be a nervous dog, cat or other animal.

We had Halloween last week and bonfire night this weekend - it’s like The Somme out side right now.

Our greyhound won’t go outside and either circles round the lounge or tries to find a place to hide - this goes on for night after night. Two of our neighbours dogs are the same. Totally distressed . We’ve heard of greyhounds literally dying from stress and anxiety at this time of year.

I hate that people can buy mild explosives and set them off in their back gardens.

I wish so much that they would make
silent fireworks mandatory ….

Chester

Totally with you. I sound like a killjoy but they should be reserved for licensed events in my opinion.

I remember one year a few years ago we had it almost every night for the month Nov as various people got round to using the fireworks they bought for Nov 5th. The dogs were nervous wrecks by the end of the month and never really recovered.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In Germany you're only allowed to burn fireworks the hour before and after new year. Still pets are horrified.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
IMG_5608.jpeg
In Germany you're only allowed to burn fireworks the hour before and after new year. Still pets are horrified.
That’s sounds more considerate, it’s crazy here. We have something called a sparkler which is a metal rod coated in gunpowder at one end that you light and give to small
Kids to Wave around :0

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do some pets have little to no concern for fireworks and loud banging noises and others are hyper sensitive?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No idea, our dog was a rescue, but is it really necessary that any animal has to suffer for days on end and be fearful.
I've never seen a hyper sensitive dog if that is a term for fireworks going off. I've only read about it.

DonR

Major Contributor
On Halloween we had 2 neighbours set off a 15-minute round of fireworks in succession. I had two deer bolt through our yard and across the road, luckily no cars at the time. Our cat ran up to the bedroom and dived under our bed while the cattle farm across the road rang with the sound of baying cows. Either the perpetrators don't think about animals or they don't care. The SPCA here is trying to get fireworks banned but it is an uphill struggle. Next comes New Year and then Canada Day.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I put on loud music with the bonfire during sylvester and my cat is very calm. she rules!

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have ask the vet about this,the pets that are terrified the most are the ones disciplined when young with the old,cruel "newspaper" method or by shouting at them.
This way they connect loud noise with punishment and it makes sense.
Not all of them though,a very small minority afraid of fireworks,planes,earthquakes,etc.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I live in the inner city core of ~1 million people and have sirens running all night, loud noises like fireworks and gunfire and people screaming stuff. So I'm accustomed to this now and the local dogs don't seem to have issues with it either. But I can see how some pets and livestock would have issue with fireworks.

MCH

Major Contributor
I lived in a region where, basically, they celebrate anything with firecrackers, and I have never heard of unsolvable problems with dogs. Veterinarians over there offer help and tips of how to prevent issues and reduce stress. Think of hunting dogs.
I your dog has problems, I recommend you to seek professional help.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Not ours but this is what firework events do to some dogs .

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
I have ask the vet about this,the pets that are terrified the most are the ones disciplined when young with the old,cruel "newspaper" method or by shouting at them.
This way they connect loud noise with punishment and it makes sense.
Not all of them though,a very small minority afraid of fireworks,planes,earthquakes,etc.

Sorry but that sounds like a massive sweeping generalisation if I ever heard one!

Svet Angelov

In my homeland of Bulgaria, fireworks can be heard throughout the whole year, for whatever reason you can think of, and often for reasons you'd think unnecessary. Now, having lived in the Netherlands for the better part of 7 years, I can say I definitely appreciate the stricter laws surrounding them. I've never been too fond of hearing the constang bang-bang-pop outside.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Sorry but that sounds like a massive sweeping generalisation if I ever heard one!
It may be but animals are simple,they just connect things,either good or bad.
Karita is sleeping while I bang "Fading Sun" at 110db but she will immediately wake up when I open the fridge no matter how much I sneak.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
My kids made me take in a stray dog one summer. 4th of July came, and fireworks were like war zone in my neighborhood. Came home to find the dog hiding in my stereo cabinet, and my equipment all over the floor. He got out, ran out the open door, never to be seen again. Told my kids I took him to a farm.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
It may be but animals are simple,they just connect things,either good or bad.
Karita is sleeping while I bang "Fading Sun" at 110db but she will immediately wake up when I open the fridge no matter how much I sneak.
:) what sort of dog is Karita?

It’s not volume that scares ours , he will stay in the lounge whilst I watch a movie, but reacts very differently to thunder and fireworks.

Top Bottom