• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fireworks and animals

Sokel

Master Contributor
:) what sort of dog is Karita?

It’s not volume that scares ours , he will stay in the lounge whilst I watch a movie, but reacts very differently to thunder and fireworks.

(we also have a rottweiler but the poor soul is not such a tyrant as her)

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor

(we also have a rottweiler but the poor soul is not such a tyrant as her)
Strange looking dog

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a male smooth collie that was very scared of wheeled stuff. Cars/traffic, bicycles, skateboarders and in-line skaters where all attacked by my dog. He never got his teeth into them but he was lunging, chasing and frothing. I got him as a SPCA rescue from a old woman that kept him locked in a apartment suite for 4 years. To introduce a cat or a deer into the situation was a nightmare. If in a car and he saw a deer he would lunge at that window, start barking and foaming and then jumping into everybody's lap. A cat was the worst. He leaped over a ~5.5 foot high bush/shrub/fence while trying to kill it and the people on the other side could be heard freaking out as this dog came bounding over their shrub into their calm BBQ environment. He started chasing horses and that was the end of the line. I had a visit from a RCMP constable requesting information about the dog. He had already been put down because nobody wanted him but the constable said he was seen outside Kamloops attacking a horse that was towing a cart for tourists. I advised the constable the dog had already been put down by the SPCA and he said that I avoided a $3800 fine because of that. So... all in all I can understand how fireworks could become a very serious major issue for all involved. Excessive barking complaints, biting, frothing, growling, lunging all could come from fireworks if on the aggressive side of the chart.

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
I had a male smooth collie that was very scared of wheeled stuff.
Sorry to hear about your Collie, but you gave him a normal, caring home for time and that’s an amazing thing to do for any animal.

Ours had a lot of pray drive when he arrived (ex racer) and we were very lucky to find a very experienced dog shrink who helped him through it. He’s a perfect gentleman now with other dogs, less so with cats and squirrels !

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:) what sort of dog is Karita?

It’s not volume that scares ours , he will stay in the lounge whilst I watch a movie, but reacts very differently to thunder and fireworks.
Their hearing and entire sensory system is so superior to ours... we have no way to relate to the way they tell real from fake... but they do.

My cat gets curious about some stuff... mosquito sounds coming from speakers, bird videos on TV... and then never ever falls for it again.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a bit like us and SINAD measurements :)
Except their stuff serves a purpose. I am always amazed by the fact my cat knows when my girlfriend is coming 5 minutes before I hear her fiddling with her keys to come through the door, even earlier when she brings her dogs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear about your Collie, but you gave him a normal, caring home for time and that’s an amazing thing to do for any animal.
I walked him for miles and miles and miles in attempt to calm him and get him used to the triggers. Skate boarders and loud vehicles where especially challenging triggers because there are so many in the city core. I would leash and set/sit him at a 4 way intersection that was active and loud and he would after 25 minutes or so start looking at me with this look like he was wondering why we where there and wanted to move along. So I saw promise in him. It was almost at times as if he thought he was reacting how I wanted him to react in his schitzo mannerisms and then when I would calm him he would again go back into schitzo mode after a few minutes. He also apparently bit the neighbor. She was having none of it and told everybody her story and made his life worse than it already was. All in all the dog had a purpose in life and nobody knew what it was and nobody wanted to take him up on life. I figured a farm dog would be a good life for him.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Except their stuff serves a purpose. I am always amazed by the fact my cat knows when my girlfriend is coming 5 minutes before I hear her fiddling with her keys to come through the door, even earlier when she brings her dogs.
Your cat maybe smells her coming. There is a jet of air around doors in many instances and she might be wearing some perfume/make-up?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s sounds more considerate, it’s crazy here. We have something called a sparkler which is a metal rod coated in gunpowder at one end that you light and give to small
Kids to Wave around :0
We have them as well (Wunderkerze), in standard size and very large (~1m long). They can be used without restrictions.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I hate that people can buy mild explosives and set them off in their back gardens.
Fireworks for public sale have been banned here since the end of 1986 (although one state continued until 2009)... only registered pyrotechnic display companies can be engaged to setup and let off fireworks legally.

I do miss "cracker night", but I understand why the laws were passed as every year there were a number of serious injuries and other incidents, including some deaths.

JSmith

Andysu

Major Contributor
fireworks should be banned that is all i have to say

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
fireworks should be banned that is all i have to say

They should be banned for many reasons:

Illegal Fourth of July fireworks ignite at least 100 fires in California

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Firefighters scrambled to douse grass and structure fires sparked by illegal Fourth of July fireworks across California. The city of San Francisco saw at least 100...

July 4th fireworks injuries in charts - USA TODAY

Jul 3, 2023Stephen J. Beard USA TODAY Published 7:30 AM PDT Jul. 1, 2022 Updated 5:50 AM PDT Jul. 3, 2023 The Fourth of July comes with the annual traditions of gatherings in backyards and parks, grilling... :cool:

Haflermichi

It is difficult for me to quantify other posters experiences but I grew up in Hawaii, on Oahu where fireworks (both fire "crackers" and aerials) were and are cultural. It's gotten far worse recently with hundreds of people stopping on the major freeway to watch which is pure idiocy to me.
In this video everything you see in the air is ILLEGAL. I can't begin to imagine how veterans and those with PTSD, let alone pets, deal with this.

Top Bottom