• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Finally a Harman-Tuned IEM with a true dynamic driver crossover! Truthear x Crinacle ZERO

carlcamper

Crossover breakdown:
1658709964074.png

Video by @crinacle :

Product Link:

I've ordered one, can't wait to try it!

SDC

Nice design, but what in the world is that vergo? Just acrylic stand for those who think 49.99 is too cheap?

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do we even need subwoofer in iem? Is it really that hard to get flat into sub bass with iem, which by design is to fit into our ear canal? I don't know much about iem but can't imagine iem will has less sub bass then over ear headphone.

someguyontheinternet

Do we even need subwoofer in iem? Is it really that hard to get flat into sub bass with iem, which by design is to fit into our ear canal? I don't know much about iem but can't imagine iem will has less sub bass then over ear headphone.
No, it's definitely not necessary to reach down to 20Hz. The interesting point to me would be any impact on distortion.

Looking at the FD5 measurements though, it doesn't seem necessary to have a dedicated subwoofer.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also thought too much hype to have a dedicated bass driver in an IEM. Even a single DD already reaches 20 Hz with elevated bass, like the Chu for 20 usd. Sure, it does not follow Harman IEM curve but I think they could if they wanted to, it is not the lack of dedicated bass driver that is holding them back.

index.php

staticV3

Master Contributor
SMPTE measurements made by @Earfonia of some single DD IEMs also don't indicate a need for a dedicated bass driver.
The single DD BL-05 for example plays 60Hz and 7kHz just fine:
BLON BL-05 - Left - IMD SMPTE at 94 dBSPL - 500Hz.png

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not that IEMs cannot reach 20hz efficiently it's that in my personal experience most IEMs usually cannot deliver strong impact around that frequency range.
Like think of something like Audeze LCD2, the bass slaps hard, in comparison even some good "basshead" IEMs like Empire Ears Legend X are just lackluster, even though Legend X already have tons of bass.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@bigjacko @Matias
The dedicated bass driver is not about improved bass extension.
It's about the shape of the bass response.

A single DD can at most be tuned for a gentle downward slope from 20 to 800Hz or so:
graph (13).pnggraph (12).pnggraph (11).pnggraph (10).png
However, if you want a distinct boost from 20 to ~150Hz and a flat frequency response after that, then a dedicated bass driver (or DSP) is required:
graph (16).png
graph (15).png
graph (14).png

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ordered a pair of these in the hope that they'll be more practical than my akg k371s for use on the move, and let's face it they ought to be.

GrM

DDs are inherently tiny cone speakers that don’t have to worry about beaming. The same laws of physics apply to DDs as home audio drivers (with the exception of beaming). Most of the limitations of single DD IEMs v. BA IEMs I’ve heard could be addressed by using multiple DDs optimized for different sections of the frequency range.

That’s where I have to stop making blanket statements unless I want to risk making statements I can’t say are absolutely true. I would be very interested to see someone with more knowledge than I posses expand on this subject. But I can’t see how using at least 2 or 3 properly designed and implemented/crossed over DDs wouldn’t be superior multi BA sets.

OP
carlcamper

carlcamper

Top Bottom