• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fellow audio enthusiasts are invited to Technics New Product Preview/Listening Party

OP
Robert Zohn

Robert Zohn

Dealer
One of our guests was Greg Tarr, Managing editor at HDGuru. Greg came armed with his camera, editors note pad and several LPs.

Greg covered the event with this very nice article that was published today.

Voss_Zohn_Technics_SL-1200R.jpg

TBone

Major Contributor
could you please post the Cumulative resonant decay plot.

TBone

Major Contributor
Thank you ...

Impressive results, in fact, one of the best CTRD plots I've seen to date ... so much so ... looks to make many venerable "hi-end" alternatives look like the over-rated (ex:SME V) noisy affairs, that they really are ...

TBone

Major Contributor
Can you provide any insight or documentation to the improvements of the arm itself - esp compared to the early models. The best Technics I've heard - to date - all used alternative arms, but it seems as if (based on the measurements) that may not need be the case, anymore.

BTW, (even without hearing it) I'd hesitate, or consider very carefully, the use of any cartridge which uses an (Ortofon) Replicant stylus (or any equally aggressive stylus, like the FG-S) on that particular arm, no matter how good it is ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just wanted to put up a few more close up pics from our SL-1000R/SP-10R launch event.
Very purdy amp. All it really needs is a beautiful oiled walnut case. ;)

OP
Robert Zohn

Robert Zohn

Dealer
@TBone, all I know about the SL-1000R's new Tonearm is that it's 12" long and is hand drawn cold magnesium. The tone arm is highly rated, but some folks just buy the SP-1000R and have a legacy plinth and tonearm board and then select the tonearm and cartridge they love. Technics is offering the SP-10R, Turntable deck only or the full SL-1000R Turntable system.

@Sal1950, Thanks! I also like solid hard wood cases, but the plinth they use is very highly acclaimed by TT aficionados.

Last edited:

TBone

Major Contributor
Thank you for taking the time to reply ... is the arm available separately?

OP
Robert Zohn

Robert Zohn

Dealer
Sorry no, at this time Technics will not sell the Tonearm separately.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@TBone, all I know about the SL-1000R's new Tonearm is that it's 12' long and is hand drawn cold magnesium. The tone arm is highly rated, but some folks just buy the SP-1000R and have a legacy plinth and tonearm board and then select the tonearm and cartridge they love. Technics is offering the SP-10R, Turntable deck only or the full SL-1000R Turntable system.

@Sal1950, Thanks! I also like solid hard wood cases, but the plinth they use is very highly acclaimed by TT aficionados.

Very nice looking (and sounding, I assume) gear!

I am going to take a wild guess that the tonearm is 12" long, not 12', though perhaps the camera makes it look smaller than it is? :)

Top Bottom