• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Feel how heavy this amp is"

beeface

This morning I was reminiscing about shopping for my first stereo system as a young man, and I remember a salesperson inviting me to pick up a couple of the integrated amps on display to feel the difference in heft, and therefore a supposed difference in quality.

Two questions:

1. Is this a classic hi-fi sales technique? Anyone else experienced it?
2. Is there actually any truth to the idea that heavier = better? These were both A/B amps

Liya

1. Yes
2. No

I once visitied ATC dealer in Derby. He had a midbass driver of the SCM19s out and 'pick this up, see how heavy it is' was his tactic to sell more speakers. It was many years ago and he still is ATC dealer. Must be a good technique to sell some underperforming speakers to the innocent.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Maybe... The heavier one may have a more "hefty" power transformer and/or heatsink.

With a switching power supply the transformer operates at a higher frequency and it can be made smaller & lighter, even with a class A/B amp. A class-D amp can have smaller heatsinks.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Might indicate a few things, some might be a good thing like superior heat sink. Just on it's own, not so much. I used to be insulted if they'd show me an integrated amp instead of proper separates :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The was a story circulating in the early days of internet hifi forums about a 'respected' manufacturer adding a chunk of steel plate to the chassis of an amplifier to afford the heft expected by their customers.
The manufacturer was (if memory serves) reputed to be Electrovoice (?!), a brand name that has certainly garnered, and deserved, respectability for most of its existence.

I cannot confirm this, but in the context of this thread's topic, it still seemed worthy of mention! ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The was a story circulating in the early days of internet hifi forums about a 'respected' manufacturer adding a chunk of steel plate to the chassis of an amplifier to afford the heft expected by their customers.
The manufacturer was (if memory serves) reputed to be Electrovoice (?!), a brand name that has certainly garnered, and deserved, respectability for most of its existence.

I cannot confirm this, but in the context of this thread's topic, it still seemed worthy of mention! ;)
There were other similar efforts in cases/plates incorporated from what I've seen. For the weight-influenced audiophile it would work just fine.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
I'd say as A/B amps go they are normally pretty hefty because of the heatsinks and the transformer (s). It was kind of proportional
to the size too. The more watts they produce the heavier they were.

The transformers can weigh a lot vs a switching power supply.
What an A/B 60lb 200 watts @ 8 ohms vs 16lb for 400 watts @ 8 ohms in a Purifi. That module will exceed 900 watts @ 2 ohms and drive
some pretty difficult loads.

I can't say the same for an A/B beyond 4 ohms stable. They make plenty of them, the problem is cost to run the units and the actual cost of
an amp that will hold up at 2 ohms. Mcintosh, Pass, SST, Krell, etc. They are not inexpensive to run or buy.

Class Ds on the other hand, Purifi, Hypex NC, ICE, A lot of bang for the buck, cool running, sound wonderful on just about anything you hook to them,
and 500.00 - 1500.00 for monoblocks or a stereo is very doable.

Does weight matter? Only in a tornado!

Regards

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There were other similar efforts in cases/plates incorporated from what I've seen. For the weight-influenced audiophile it would work just fine.
I did just now look again ;) Didn't find my vaguely-remembered EV citation, but I did find a cousin to this thread at AK which mentioned Hanpin doin' the steel plate trick in a tt for someone. I report, you decide. ;)

specifically,

Haflermichi

I'd say this is a instance in which "heavier is better" when discussing class A/B amps which predate switching power supplies.
"an A/B 60lb 200 watts @ 8 ohms" is exactly what my Nakamichi PA-7 delivers.;)
With tongue firmly in cheek, heavier is sexier!
Now if we were discussing motorcycles, sports cars or significant others...I would agree that the opposite is true!:D

coonmanx

Back in the day weight probably mattered because it indicated a hefty power supply. But I am also not sure how much my roommate's Carver Cube weighed either.

These days things have changed a lot with Class D and all.

Sokel

Master Contributor
What's the weight of a Rth = 0.8 K/W spec'd heatshink?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Is this a classic hi-fi sales technique? Anyone else experienced it?
Absolutely is. I stopped counting how many times I experienced this.
Is there actually any truth to the idea that heavier = better? These were both A/B amps
At some point, perhaps. More weight could mean better PSU and heat dissipation for A/B amps... But that doesn't guarantee (at all) that the heaviest amp will actually perform better on the bench...

Ifrit

Back in a day I took apart a couple of CD players, and remember one of the Marantz KI series and some Esoteric having metal plate inside. I cannot fathom any other use besides adding weight for stability… in sales.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Back in the day you needed weight to get power. Didn't mean you got quality but if a 100 watt amp weighed 2lbs something was wrong.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Back in a day I took apart a couple of CD players, and remember one of the Marantz KI series and some Esoteric having metal plate inside. I cannot fathom any other use besides adding weight for stability… in sales.
Or to help with the vibration from off center discs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What's the weight of a Rth = 0.8 K/W spec'd heatshink?

Mine (one channel) is aluminum, about 14x9x2 inches.

So, maybe 15 pounds?

Won't take it off to weigh it.

1681752501849.png

The amp is rated 350/700/1400W for 8/4/2 ohms

I've seen 140 degrees with some very spirited listening on a Beer Saturday.

102 F right now, cruising with the HDradio tuned to WMNF.

Last edited:
Top Bottom