• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Be careful with too high price, that can do harm too says overrated fanatic Steve Hoffman:
I had a system once and until I put Audioquest wire in there was just harsh and unmusical. With the Audioquest wire in there in only two spots, the sound got much better. In that system. Don't ask me what the name of the Audioquest wire was, I cannot remember, not the top of the line, way down there. Had a weird thingy attached to one end of each wire, that's all I remember. Kinda green color.

That Audioquest wire in that stereo did the trick, was nicely neutral and for that system it was crucial.. My higher priced wire did harm.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Need to burn in your power cord? Now only $189!

How the fugh do they call themselves a “lab” :)

Some of these snake oiler’s must be secretly insecure and envious of real science as they include “lab” or “research” or other serious wording in the company name :facepalm:

formdissolve

Forum Donor

Some of these snake oiler’s must be secretly insecure and envious of real science as they include “lab” or “research” or other serious wording in the company name :facepalm:
The audio cable burn in tool is $270!

Justdafactsmaam

Maybe a DAC that expensive gets bought for the same reason that a Herme's $10,000 Birkin handbag does.
I don’t think that’s the case. I have yet to see any audiophile say they bought any mega buck component just for the looks and/or prestige. There is invariably a claim of substantial improvement in the sound quality itself

Justdafactsmaam

Is that envy or salesmanship?

Anton D

The audio cable burn in tool is $270!

This seems like a claim that could easily be measured before and after.

egellings

Major Contributor
I don’t think that’s the case. I have yet to see any audiophile say they bought any mega buck component just for the looks and/or prestige. There is invariably a claim of substantial improvement in the sound quality itself
The claim may well be imaginary, though, just like the feeling of cache in owning the Birkin bag might. Sound quality in reasonably priced equipment can be so good that a technical improvement would not be audible anymore, regardless of equipment price. Simply charging a stratospheric price won't make that happen, either.

Palladium

The claim may well be imaginary, though, just like the feeling of cache in owning the Birkin bag might. Sound quality in reasonably priced equipment can be so good that a technical improvement would not be audible anymore, regardless of equipment price. Simply charging a stratospheric price won't make that happen, either.

If the infinite veils were lifted everytime a newflanged HiFi product came out then audio stores everywhere wouldn't be continually closing down left and right.

Basic Channel

It's nonsense, but it's free of charge nonsense:

Also a free explanation of burn-in for any skeptics or "confused people".

The phenomenon commonly referred to as “burn-in” is confusing to some people. We prefer to think of the phenomenon as the conditioning of the system with continued use. The phenomenon of burn-in is actually a polarization of effects on a microscopic level. This microscopic world might be as little as a few thousandths of an inch along the length of the conductors within a cable; the thickness of one to three sheets of paper. At this level one can visualize the subtle electromagnetic waves around a conductive wire. These waves are moving through the dielectric (primary insulation) around the conductor. There is a problem at this microscopic level; not all frequencies carried by the electromagnetic waves will pass at the same attitude at every point of the conductive wire. For example, at some point along the conductor, there might be a tiny point of oxidation, and this will limit the range of high frequencies that can pass easily between the same amplitude, perhaps turning AC into DC and creating random audible noise in the cable. At other points, imagine air-gaps between the conductor and the insulation near the conductor surface. These tiny differences cause changes with respect to the different frequencies that are “stored and released” from conductor to dielectric and back again.

I know enough to see through it, but know little of electronics to see through some of the jargon. Do they really mean to write attitude?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Also a free explanation of burn-in for any skeptics or "confused people".

I know enough to see through it, but know little of electronics to see through some of the jargon. Do they really mean to write attitude?
I am guessing in this instance they mean "attitude" as defining a pointing direction, like attitude of an airplane or spacecraft.

It is however another fine example of relating real science at the micro/quantum level to something where it has no place. Misapplication marketing.

egellings

Major Contributor
If the infinite veils were lifted everytime a newflanged HiFi product came out then audio stores everywhere wouldn't be continually closing down left and right.
Audio is a solved problem. Stores would likely stay open because new people are inducted into the audio fold at a pretty constant rate. Plus, there will always be new 'latest and greatests' to keep previous customers bitten by the bug coming back for yet another helpling.

Top Bottom