• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Jaxjax

I mean if they are so anal about getting the best signal then why aren't they using balanced interconnects...
Yep...& that company sells those rocks/pebbles for $130. per small zip lock bag of em..
Machina Dynamica Inc.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep...& that company sells those rocks/pebbles for $130. per small zip lock bag of em..
Machina Dynamica Inc.
And some audiophiles do purchase these and can hear the "vast" differences!!

Peace.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Does it actually reduce resonances?
aavik-ansuz-borresen-112022-19.jpg
Screenshot_20240311_075854_Chrome.jpg
REZONATOR_OnMainz8_MOBILE.png
REZONATOR_PARTS_MOBILE.png
REZONATOR_InBox_MOBILE.png

AdrianusG

I recently stumbled upon these before I even heard the "brand" called Synergistic Research:

It's a black box (LITERALLY!!!) that magically transforms sound just by placing somewhere in the room. They won't even bother explaining how, it just does after paying $4K for a pair!

I just witnessed a used pair sold for $2K. It really pains me knowing people this stupid can earn enough to spend upwards of $2K into any one thing.
But but.. it's a HiFi+ winner 2022, are you saying this might be fake?;)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Does it actually reduce resonances?

It might absorb something way, way above the point of ultrasonics, but so will everything else around it.

It's guaranteed to have a distinct resonance frequency of its own though. It's just a really, really expensive claves, or a really, really expensive helmholtz absorber that operate in a stupid frequency range :D

Completely pointless exercise mind you. There's nothing that needs to be reduced in the first place.

Punter

Yep, it's essential to control any mechanical resonance when you're dealing with something like a DAC with no moving parts!!

BeeKay

Yep, it's essential to control any mechanical resonance when you're dealing with something like a DAC with no moving parts!!
But if at anytime some bit went rogue - you’d be prepared!

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Is there a computer program with gps with a supplied positioning protractor to get precise alignment ??

egellings

Major Contributor
It might absorb something way, way above the point of ultrasonics, but so will everything else around it.

It's guaranteed to have a distinct resonance frequency of its own though. It's just a really, really expensive claves, or a really, really expensive helmholtz absorber that operate in a stupid frequency range :D

Completely pointless exercise mind you. There's nothing that needs to be reduced in the first place.
A solution looking for a problem to solve...

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Jay seems like a nice guy. I actually met him a couple times at audio shows. But he confuses buying and selling extremely expensive gear and casually evaluating it as it comes and goes with actual expertise in audio.

Yup.

Just recently in a video he was telling everyone about an important discovery he made, where things weren't sounding as good as he hoped, until he stopped the stream and started again and then bam everything sounded amazing, so now he's advocating that people not just listen to a server streaming (be it Tidal or local files I believe) but go through this stopping starting/rebooting stuff in order to get proper sound.

It's just the perfect storm for how audiophile tweaks arise: a person who doesn't know about the technicalities of the gear he's using, coming to mere intuition-based conclusions, and vetting these pet theories using sighted listening which of course confirm the new intuition.

Like watching audiophile woo-woo being born before your eyes.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yup.

Just recently in a video he was telling everyone about an important discovery he made, where things weren't sounding as good as he hoped, until he stopped the stream and started again and then bam everything sounded amazing, so now he's advocating that people not just listen to a server streaming (be it Tidal or local files I believe) but go through this stopping starting/rebooting stuff in order to get proper sound.

It's just the perfect storm for how audiophile tweaks arise: a person who doesn't know about the technicalities of the gear he's using, coming to mere intuition-based conclusions, and vetting these pet theories using sighted listening which of course confirm the new intuition.

Like watching audiophile woo-woo being born before your eyes.

I like how every placebophile argument ends up to "If you reject my baseless conjectures you are just a poor pathetic pleb"

kranius

Already been discussed but I always get a good laugh when people claim the soundstage gets wide open or the fast rythmic section placement is different just by changing a network switch. The linked video tries to provide "proof".

EDIT : oh it's even worse than I thought, some people are chaining two switches (1600$ each), why not 3 or more ?

44719-c5b40ad9485fd2fa9fe74da62cebea30.jpg

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Already been discussed but I always get a good laugh when people claim the soundstage gets wide open or the fast rythmic section placement is different just by changing a network switch. The linked video tries to provide "proof".

But surely, you then have to determine whether copper wire or fibre optic cable sounds better.

My home is being upgraded to fibre later this month. I can't wait to hear how much better YouTube videos sound. :D

Top Bottom