• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

ErVikingo

In all fairness, that is not Jay's room. That is the dealer (not too far from me)

GabrielPhoto

It seems very mystical :D

GabrielPhoto

This cannot be real

People don't actually pay money for stuff like this

...surely?
When I saw a wall outlet cover for "audiophiles", it's hard to be surprised about anything anymore :D

Last edited:

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How can anyone write an article like that without being too embarrassed to ever show their face again?

Really dumb snake oil. Dunce caps for everyone who believes that item could do anything at all besides looking weird.

-Matt-

I was expecting a discussion on suspension damping components!

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dunce caps for everyone who believes that item could do anything at all besides looking weird.
It could make very slight ringing noises via sympathetic resonance I guess.

Why anyone would want that is another question entirely.

Anton D

It could make very slight ringing noises via sympathetic resonance I guess.

Why anyone would want that is another question entirely.
Great question.

If it did anything audible, it would be due to the vibration you mention, so could it add a bit of sonic excitement for someone? It seems it would be a monotonous thing to add, if it did anything that one could perceive. Perhaps some treble-ish sort of airy thing? I can't come up with anything very constructive.

They also make these babies...

It's easy to say mean things, the manufacturer may believe what he claims, but I have to say I'm not the target audience for this.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This company also sell $300 cats for acoustic treatment and grounding.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great question.

If it did anything audible, it would be due to the vibration you mention, so could it add a bit of sonic excitement for someone? It seems it would be a monotonous thing to add, if it did anything that one could perceive. Perhaps some treble-ish sort of airy thing? I can't come up with anything very constructive.

They also make these babies...

It's easy to say mean things, the manufacturer may believe what he claims, but I have to say I'm not the target audience for this.
If this thing does what it's supposed to do, (big if) it would resonate with certain high frequencies and increase the decay time and apparent sources around the room for treble content. You might call this "immersive audio for superstitious idiots".

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Those things remind me of Frank Tchang's acoustic resonators. This "Lotus Harmonic Enhancer" is based on a "Nepalese singing bowl", while the Tchang resonator is based on a "Japanese singing bowl". Other similarities - grandiose name (check!), based on Asian mysticism (check!), enhances soundstage (check!), nonverifiable (check!).

And FYI the author of that article has the title "Dato". That is a Malaysian honorific bestowed by one of the Sultans. It is similar to "Sir".

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a “review” of the cats o_O:facepalm:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Those aluminum alloy pink-gold meows are $2350 for a set of 3. But that does include a ground cable.

"Meow GR Pink Gold package comes in a clowder of 3 cats, a pair of Baby Meows and one Grande Meow. The package includes reference ground cable."

Where does the grounding cable attach to the meow? Do you shove it up its butt? :facepalm:

meows.jpg

GabrielPhoto

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Unsure if anyone found this before, but dang. Also unsure if it belongs here or in the humor thread.

1709918203204.png

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everybody knows that for the ultimate in high fidelity, you should use punch cards. :)

View attachment 352927

Of course, you'll need to locate the reader in a separate room, or it will really mess up your signal to noise ratio:

A CDs worth of data would require approximately 6,526,800 punch cards, so you'll need a model with an extended hopper. :)
This photo triggered me and I had spend the week in my safe zone calling my therapist every hour.

I know that the last time I used a punch-card machine, I went through 6,526,800 punch cards to get the 1200 or so that I actually needed. Then, I dropped the box on the way to the computing center. I've been in therapy for these many decades since that horrible trauma.

Rick "no backspace key" Denney

Last edited:
Top Bottom