• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

M00NMAN

Is a non-zero current density not counted as current?

In that state alignment would be with Magnetic North and South Poles (considering a geomagnetic pole reversal has not already occurred at that moment in time).

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sorry that the Danish pioneer of moving coil cartridges fits into the extreme snake oil:

"The new Ortofon Reference Interconnect cables Series is designed and manufactured by Ortofon Japan". Good way for me to only blame the Japanese department!

"The Reference Red Interconnect cable is a perfect combination of 4N OFC (Oxygen-free copper) and 4N HiFC (High performance pure copper) conductors. These two copper conductor materials are combined to create a warm, dynamic sound with high resolution."

The consumers get to choose Ortofon's amazing audiophile offer that is called "not too expensive" of €159.00 for one meter! There are more audiophile offers available! "Each of the new Reference series cables has its individual sonic expression". The consumers' choice whether they want to buy the Reference Black cable that costs €999.00 for one meter!

Last edited:

jsrtheta

Didn't Nagra used to be a pretty serious Pro-Audio company?
We used to use Nagra tape recorders to wire our phony "hit men" when I was a prosecutor. Worked great.

They were extremely well made and never failed. Which you didn't want to happen when the target was starting to tell the "hit man" exactly how she wanted her husband tortured.

They've been around since 1951 and have a great reputation. They got into "high end" audio in 1997. I have no idea how good their home audio stuff is, because the prices are stratospheric. Like, stroke inducing.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We used to use Nagra tape recorders to wire our phony "hit men" when I was a prosecutor. Worked great.

They were extremely well made and never failed. Which you didn't want to happen when the target was starting to tell the "hit man" exactly how she wanted her husband tortured.

They've been around since 1951 and have a great reputation. They got into "high end" audio in 1997. I have no idea how good their home audio stuff is, because the prices are stratospheric. Like, stroke inducing.
I had a listen to a system incorporating a Nagra pre-amp and DAC at a show just the other week. The DAC costs £26500, you might think that is a staggering price until you discover the pre-amp is £45500.

DonR

Major Contributor
I had a listen to a system incorporating a Nagra pre-amp and DAC at a show just the other week. The DAC costs £26500, you might think that is a staggering price until you discover the pre-amp is £45500.
Power cords sold separately?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power cords sold separately?
I did have a look round the back, they were using Siltech. Just one of the interconnects cost more than my entire system.

In fairness they did have one of the best sounds of the show, but they were also in one of the best rooms.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
Doesn't those prices just mean that it is a company that can't get things done right with those products, and thus has to increase the price astronomically to cover their ineptitude?

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't those prices just mean that it is a company that can't get things done right with those products, and thus has to increase the price astronomically to cover their ineptitude?
They are beautifully built little boxes, they look a lot better in the flesh than they do in pictures. But at those prices they are Veblen goods, you pay mostly for the exclusivity.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
They are beautifully built little boxes, they look a lot better in the flesh than they do in pictures. But at those prices they are Veblen goods, you pay mostly for the exclusivity.
Veblen goods arguably another kind of ineptitude called for example vanity. :)

DSJR

Major Contributor
Tandberg went belly up , some years later I saw new Tandberg TV’s ?
Tandberg and sister? company Radionette made some very good (indeed) tellies in the 70's...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes, but I tend to follow the 'Judge not lest ye be judged' philosophy. If someone has the money and wants them they should go for it. As long as they don't show up on hi-fi forums claiming that all that extra spend has also bought them extra sound quality :)

DSJR

Major Contributor
The few dozen UK forum regulars tend to box swap in rotation, or DIY themselves to death. Not sure many have much if any money for new gear, especially more expensive stuff ;)

sq225917

Major Contributor
Some are always on the escalator be it swapping or building. I'd say I'm relatively long lived.

Speakers, TT and phono 7 years, pre amp 5 years, power amps four years, pre 3 years, dac last year.

I might replace the choke in the bass xo on my speakers this year and rehouse the pre at some point. I have no interest in swapping or building anything else.

jsrtheta

These guys have been at it for going on 75 years. I don't think you could find a credible expert who would say Nagra suffers from ineptitude. You might find some serious reviews online - I think, FWIW, Stereophile has reviewed them in the past.

These are engineering feats. Likely massively overpriced (though living in Switzerland is hardly cheap), but the opposite of inept.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
These guys have been at it for going on 75 years. I don't think you could find a credible expert who would say Nagra suffers from ineptitude. You might find some serious reviews online - I think, FWIW, Stereophile has reviewed them in the past.

These are engineering feats. Likely massively overpriced (though living in Switzerland is hardly cheap), but the opposite of inept.
My point was that massively overpriced products (like Veblen goods) are ineptitude from the perspective of for example the poor, who must be able to quite clearly see the vanity knowledgeable of how not having plenty of sustenance or profitable job opportunities is.

One could argue that empathy is not always relevant, but excessive greed has the same problem as bigotry that is detrimental to humanity's progress. So massively overpriced products are a major problem (just look how many pages there are in this thread). When it comes to DACs and preamps for example, it is very questionable whether anyone should buy Veblen goods given the competitive market.

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A quality product that is priced higher than you are willing to pay or that you think anyone should be willing to pay is not snake oil. The original snake oil sold for 5 cents a bottle, and it was still snake oil. The problem was efficacy (the lack of it), not value. The target was the poor, not the rich.

Rick “not the place for grinding political axes” Denney

Waxx

Major Contributor

They are good, but the price has a zero too much at the end. But they sell a lot in Europe to the very rich people. The place where i heared them was also a castle where a lord/billionaire lives for who those prices are nothing. He used the toplevel (HD Line) dac, pre and power amp with a pair of Wilson Audio Alexandria's first, but did not like those speakers so i suggested a pair of Harbeth 40.2 (based on his description of what he wants) and that combo works very well. But those prices are ridiculous, and i would never suggest those amp just for that. The sound is great and neutral even if it's class A for the first watts and then AB. And the physical build of those is outstanding, so no real snake oil, just way overpriced shiny hifi jewelery that actually also sound good.

CapMan

Major Contributor
In my humble opinion you know you are wasting money on upgrades when you have to explain to visitors why your stereo sounds amazing :)

Top Bottom