• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Something from SPATIAL:

https://spatialeurope.de/spatial-europe-schumann-tube-wave/

Spatial_Schumann_7-937x720.jpg

Maybe I can find out how much it costs. Not living far away from the compa…sorry, snake oil production facility.
Whoa.
Dude.
It's got a tube.

egellings

Major Contributor
It may be displaying one audio channel on the X-axis and the other channel on the Y-axis. If the FM station sent two same-frequency sine waves, one on each channel, and varied the phase angle between them, then it would show a Lissajous figure.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
23 pages: We all know how long it takes to read 'em all when you arrive to an ASR party 45minutes late.
Unidirectional audio cables[??] Huh? OIC! Okay.
You be the judge, PaulMcGowan sez he "heard the differences", so it must be true.
>TL&DR (8minute yt version) here<
Snag_9b4123d.png

3 Foot – Directional High-Definition Audio Interconnect Cable Pair Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES – Using Mogami 2549 Wire and Amphenol ACPR Die-Cast, Gold Plated RCA Connectors
Get 'em while they are hot @Amazon for $36.
Notice the side that is NOT labeled is the "Load" side, so, put that in the toilet before flushing. I warned you!

ta240

Major Contributor
Maybe all of the above... multipath.

Mac -- as always -- was ahead of the curve.

2020-09-0913.44.30_800x.jpg

H20388-L259378201.jpg

:cool:
"When the MI-3 is used with an FM tuner it will detect and display multipath reception. Multipath reception is the result of a reflected signal arriving at the tuner antenna slightly later than the direct signal. By rotating or repositioning your FM antenna it is possible to reduce the multipath reception. The Maximum Performance Indicator makes it easy to know when the FM antenna is oriented for the best reception of any station.

To show multipath reception the MI-3 displays instantaneous signal strength versus frequency deviation. Signal strength is shown as vertical deflection of the indicator display beam. Frequency deviation is shown as horizontal deflection. Multipath reception appears as a peak or valley in the MI 3 picture tube display"

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hardware wise, both Macs and PCs are the same till recently when Apple change to their own ARM based processors. Btw, its entirely possible to get an x86 Mac to run windows, just need BIOS hack.
Indeed. "Hackintosh" is what we call them here. I actually have a couple lying around, though not in use anymore. IMO, they're not worth the trouble of keeping up to date. I suppose if someone really hates Windows 10/11, and or needs a specific program that only runs on Mac, but that's about it.

thunderchicken

23 pages: We all know how long it takes to read 'em all when you arrive to an ASR party 45minutes late.
Unidirectional audio cables[??] Huh? OIC! Okay.
You be the judge, PaulMcGowan sez he "heard the differences", so it must be true.
>TL&DR (8minute yt version) here<
View attachment 164973
3 Foot – Directional High-Definition Audio Interconnect Cable Pair Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES – Using Mogami 2549 Wire and Amphenol ACPR Die-Cast, Gold Plated RCA Connectors
Get 'em while they are hot @Amazon for $36.
Notice the side that is NOT labeled is the "Load" side, so, put that in the toilet before flushing. I warned you!
So it doesn't matter which ground the shield is connected to? That particular claim is pervasive. Can someone here explain why not or why it would work?

Lambda

Major Contributor
So it doesn't matter which ground the shield is connected to? That particular claim is pervasive. Can someone here explain why not or why it would work?
"direction" can make a difference for RF noise rejection.
if for example the cable has an additional shield only connected to one side ts better connected to the transmitter side.

But its in practice 99,9% snake oil. (made up number)
It relay can only help with noise rejection in super rare and unusually cases and even then i wont make a big difference.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is it better?
You had to ask didn't you?;)
The explanation from the company "WorldsBestCables" goes like this:
"So in reality, the standard cable will have a slightly less capacitance (2964, 2497 etc) while directional cables (2549, 2534 etc) will have a slightly higher capacitance. And low capacitance cables (standard) will give you bright/neutral tones while the high capacitance cables (directional) will give you a warmer sound :) "
"Per the instructions, the shield is connected on the source end only which acts as a faraday cage which rejects external noise."
It can NOT 'act' as a Faraday cage if it does not provide 100% peripheral coverage!
This maybe similar to how a portable FM tuner antenna operates by using the single-ended shield cable over the +/- of the earbuds attached to it.
Snake Oil?

Lambda

Major Contributor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
…I am sure while typing it you felt how silly that every sentence was. :)
That's a ****** crappy thing to say, no matter who it is pointed to. Sup with the :)?
Anyways:
We once had found a security issue with a coax cable which was part of a hardened MIL (multiple hardware) installation system. Cheapest, dirtiest and quickest way to provide RF signal integrity but not share a mutual DC ground was the use of double shielded custom coax: Where, one shield (insulated from the other) was grounded in the source end, with the second grounded on the load end. To keep the RF integrity of the sensitive transmit signal, the two shields were coupled to each other using chip capacitors at the load end. A floating DC-ground but provided the needed AC (RF) ground. This was an extreme example and only implemented because no alternative hardware could be substituted... [mumz da word]

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
Just bumped into this on Mono and Stereo page. Didn´t study the tales in detail, but when i saw the "Atomic Bonding" i had uncontrollable laughing stroke :D
Screenshot 2021-11-13 034246.jpg

JRS

Major Contributor
right... I was... umm... making a play on words.
sociopath
psychopath
audiopath
multipath

I think we'd all agree that multipath distortion is pathological, though, right?
:cool:
Weze with you. And glad that there is a pathway back to sanity after the plunge into a the rabbit hole of multiple phantorgasms of ecstatic bliss bestowed by the latest kilobuck cables. It's ASR. If nothing else, it's cheaper.

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Grounding is a state of mind. You often hear "he is well grounded". It means you know the that snake oil is oil stolen from the snake. Soon, social justice warriors will come and defend the poor snake!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Clark Stanley was a bad businessman w/his Snake Oil Liniment.:oops:
Snag_b5e77c5.png

Ezra Kelley, a 19th Century watchmaker from Bedford Mass, was the first maker to commercially use oil from the jaws of porpoises and pilot whales to lubricate watch mechanism. In 1884, Kelley began selling this new oil (supplied by the Cook family), for a whopping US $5-$15 per gallon, which converts to around US $111 – $333 in today’s money. As a comparison, a barrel of modern crude oil, contains 42 gallons and sells for $90-$110. Whale oil was so expensive at this time due to supply and demand, but also for one other key reason – it’s lubrication properties were worth it.

Top Bottom