• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

audio2design

Major Contributor
If that's even true, I can think of several factors several factors that might be skewing the numbers:
  • Macs are expensive. Any comparison should be against similarly priced PC models. Looking at entire brands, any difference between cheap models and high-end ones will be missed.
  • Mac users typically replace their devices as soon as a new model is available. People who buy cheap laptops use them until they break.
  • Getting an Apple device repaired is expensive. Many users will rather live with the flaw until they get a replacement. Just look at all the iPhones with cracked displays.

Apple users replace their phones as soon as the new one is available. This is not true of their laptops. It is not at all uncommon for MACs to have a very long life.

Yes they are more expensive, but comparatively to similar spec/design, not significantly, but agree totally should compare say Macbooks Pros more against say Dell XPS, not the whole line. Purely anecdotally, I expect Apple would still come ahead, not that they are immune to problems either, i.e. Macbook keyboard issues and battery issues over the years. Compared to equivalent models from other brands, i.e. a $2500 Macbook to a $2500 DELL, repair prices are similar.

I can't say I notice any more iPhones with cracked displays than other phones. I would say I saw this more with Androids and more a statement of the owners economic situation. Due to the fact I am going to break it anyway, I can't justify the Apple phone cost, but then again, I can't justify the Samsung high end cost either. I can afford it, but the features/cost just does not make any sense to me. On the phone side, a phone to phone transition is pretty easy these day. That is somewhat true Macbook to Macbook as well, but PC-PC is still a bit painful.

Andreas007

Something from SPATIAL:

https://spatialeurope.de/spatial-europe-schumann-tube-wave/

Schumann generator to refresh the natural Schumann resonances at home, which we have been surrounded by for thousands of years and which are being suppressed more and more by increasing mechanization. A tube simulates the microscopic fluctuations and weaknesses of natural resonances. The strength of the signal is continuously adjustable for the optimal influence on the audio playback.

Spatial_Schumann_7-937x720.jpg

Maybe I can find out how much it costs. Not living far away from the compa…sorry, snake oil production facility.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

audio2design

Major Contributor
'New and improved' one reviewed here back in 2012 http://www.stereotimes.com/acc091812.shtml it was $650 at the time, from a different company though.

Hold my beer: https://www.synergisticresearch.com/acoustics/atmosphere-infinity/

Topped only by: https://www.synergisticresearch.com/isolation/accessories/gct/

You can't top the king snake oiler. He has taken it to a fine art. You have to appreciate his knack for screwing other people out of their money. At some level, I feel some of them deserve it.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hold my beer: https://www.synergisticresearch.com/acoustics/atmosphere-infinity/

Topped only by: https://www.synergisticresearch.com/isolation/accessories/gct/

You can't top the king snake oiler. He has taken it to a fine art. You have to appreciate his knack for screwing other people out of their money. At some level, I feel some of them deserve it.
So, where do these guys come up with this stuff? Opium fueled dreams? Acid? Some heretofore unknown powerful psychedelic?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
So, where do these guys come up with this stuff? Opium fueled dreams? Acid? Some heretofore unknown powerful psychedelic?
Likely a much closer and more simple answer as to the source of these ideas. Their Assess of course! ;)

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I have to say that they take advantage of the people who do not know anything about electronics or electricity in general. To live in our modern society and especially if audio is your hobby, to not know at least some basics shows a complete lack of caring. This leads me to believe that yes, they deserve to be ripped off. It is EXACTLY like the people who buy a car, don't know anything about cars and don't read the owners manual.
They then drive it 30,000 miles without ever changing the oil and destroy the engine. They in fact deserve the sky high repair bill and loss of money. You can't go around being exceptionally stupid and not pay a price. Now, I am NOT talking about any mentally handicapped people but normal people who just don't care enough to look into anything. I don't like snake oil companies but they couldn't exist without exceptionally ignorant people with too much money. So, I also blame the buyers. Just like a drug dealer, the addict is at fault along with the dealer. They both have done seriously stupid activities.

Well, at least that is my opinion. YMMV a lot.

audio2design

Major Contributor

In the case of SR, they are never the first, or rarely. They see some BS audiophile thing, then create a Cadillac version of it and sell it to the delusional.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I have to say that they take advantage of the people who do not know anything about electronics or electricity in general. To live in our modern society and especially if audio is your hobby, to not know at least some basics shows a complete lack of caring.

Here is the thing. Many people that buy these things, and certainly those that advocate often claim "to know enough" and have read all the contradictory knowledge and evidence. They are just arrogant and convinced of their own superiority, often driven my a purely male ego thing that because they are successful at one thing (which in this case could be making money) that that extends to everything else. Classic Dunning Kruger.

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Here is the thing. Many people that buy these things, and certainly those that advocate often claim "to know enough" and have read all the contradictory knowledge and evidence. They are just arrogant and convinced of their own superiority, often driven my a purely male ego thing that because they are successful at one thing (which in this case could be making money) that that extends to everything else. Classic Dunning Kruger.

That is a fantastic response. I especially like the reference to the male ego, it is spot on. The male ego goes directly to my point of thinking they have God like hearing. The two go together like peanut butter and jelly. I try to post about this God like hearing ability whenever it comes up in the threads. Many (a "bunch" in scientific terms) on even our amazing ASR forum have that problem.

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. To buy these things you have to be seriously into hi-fi and read a lot of the literature (mags or forums) so they have to have come across the idea that products like this are a waste of money. If they reject that notion that's up to them.

It's not like Synergistic et al are hanging around the school gates trying to flog them to unsuspecting children. You'd have to be fairly deeply into the hobby to be aware that such products even exist, and have a fair bit of disposable income to even consider buying them. So yes, I agree they deserve to be ripped off.

Plus you could argue that it's good for the economy.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, I sometimes look into another forum mostly just to see pics of people's systems. I saw one this morning and it seemed every piece of equipment was sitting on wooden spheres on top of marble/granite on top of thick wood. And everything also had some bizarre beer can sized heavy metal thing on top, including the speakers. WTF is all that?

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
So, I sometimes look into another forum mostly just to see pics of people's systems. I saw one this morning and it seemed every piece of equipment was sitting on wooden spheres on top of marble/granite on top of thick wood. And everything also had some bizarre beer can sized heavy metal thing on top, including the speakers. WTF is all that?
It is caused by undiagnosed mental illness. I would rank it up there with the lining of a house interior with aluminum foil.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The spheres are for aligning the space time continuum thus aligning the electrons in the gear for better more snappy sound. The marble granite was harnessing the earths resonant frequency and isolating the gear from that. The beer cans where actually cozys for keeping the beer cold. :facepalm:

audio2design

Major Contributor
That's such a difficult personality disorder to define and diagnose for the layman. It's right up there with sociopath and psychopath.

True, but narcissism has a list of identifiable traits that one can identify over time. Differentiating them from sociopath and psychopath is probably the bigger issue :)

Top Bottom