• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

AdrianusG

You clearly missed this part of the wonderful benefits of this component:

The press release claims that the HypoResonance 9000 turntable and QuantumHarmony X phono cartridge are not merely audio equipment; they are a transcendent gateway to a sonic utopia. As the stylus caresses the grooves of your favourite records, you will find yourself transported to a dimension where the boundaries between listener and music dissolve, and you become one with the ethereal vibrations emanating from this mythical analogue masterpiece.

So, small room? No problem.
Basically your room will change into the Tardis, cool:cool:

AaronJ

It's special. Very special.
Isn't it, now? "fluctuations in Earth's magnetic fields". Yeeaahhhhhh. Next they'll want a CME to hit earth to fully "condition" it, perchance?

(please, do not mistake my reply for anything but sarcasm)

It appears they may have actually unlocked the secrets of time travel?

1712315572468.png

Andysu

Major Contributor

The press release claims that the HypoResonance 9000 turntable and QuantumHarmony X phono cartridge are not merely audio equipment; they are a transcendent gateway to a sonic utopia. As the stylus caresses the grooves of your favourite records, you will find yourself transported to a dimension where the boundaries between listener and music dissolve, and you become one with the ethereal vibrations emanating from this mythical analogue masterpiece.

top secret , idea was sound and it sprang a new idea , of course , top secret

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We are way deep in this thread, but it's been on my mind.

I divide my snake oil into different servings.

There is 'honest snake oil,' where a believer shares thoughts and crazy notions and theories and is trying to find the heart of the mysteries of sound and reproduction. They tense to freely share ideas and want to see what others think. I like them. That doesn't mean it's reality based, but we all have our foibles, and there can be people who are really nice and interesting in their view of the Universe.

These tweaks are in the, "I find putting pizza box tripods on my amplifiers, and pine cones on my speakers to enhance my enjoyment..." and let's listen together.

Who am I to want to hurt them or call them evil? They also usually like to talk about things other than themselves and enjoy a beverage with other people.

They also don't want my money. I'm good with that.

Then, there are the dirty low down lower than a snake belly types who try to monetize their fictions and insist everybody who doesn't fall for their shpiel must be deaf "debunkers" fixated on hiding the 'truth' that they are peddling.

Thems are beneath my contempt.

I have an audio buddy who is gullible that way, I think because he has some deeply implanted FOMO in his brain. I love him, but he loves tossing money at some of these guys and will never be dissuaded. I think it actually spurs him on if you try! After buying little bags of stuff to hook up to his speaker terminals, or whatever, his appreciation drifts and those things go into his cabinet of audio curiosities. But, he's happy being told what to hear - and this brings another rambling point for me: Some people like being told what to hear and the snake oil salesman seem to be really good at some sort of weird hypnotic skill that makes people belief their crap. Svengali-ism is fascinating. A for my friend, I fear that as he gets old, he's gonna fall into a trap set by a Nigerian prince, or one of those pop-up computer security scams and he will end up living in my basement.

Thanks, I feel better.

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor

That sounds like LSD trips.

PlasticDoc

There is 'honest snake oil,' where a believer shares thoughts and crazy notions and theories and is trying to find the heart of the mysteries of sound and reproduction. They tense to freely share ideas and want to see what others think. I like them. That doesn't mean it's reality based, but we all have our foibles, and there can be people who are really nice and interesting in their view of the Universe.
The clinical term for this is 'delusions'. In this case, they are of a particular type called "Bizarre delusions".

Last edited:
OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Maybe saying is it audible is a far better statement. If not, who cares? We can measure stuff all day long that is not audible. Even a sloppy blind test can prove it. Engineering level testing NOT required. This stuff has been settled decades ago by many engineers working for companies with serious money to invest in finding out the truth. Many audiophiles want to keep retesting the same old stuff decade after decade. Luckily most "real" testing has stopped as the science is settled. Oh well. That's a hobby for you, lots of speculation and not much based in reality. I always think of JJ and all his research. So many don't know about it that they ask the same questions over and over year after year.

egellings

Major Contributor
We are way deep in this thread, but it's been on my mind.

I divide my snake oil into different servings.

These tweaks are in the, "I find putting pizza box tripods on my amplifiers, and pine cones on my speakers to enhance my enjoyment..." and let's listen together.

Who am I to want to hurt them or call them evil? They also usually like to talk about things other than themselves and enjoy a beverage with other people.

They also don't want my money. I'm good with that.

Then, there are the dirty low down lower than a snake belly types who try to monetize their fictions and insist everybody who doesn't fall for their shpiel must be deaf "debunkers" fixated on hiding the 'truth' that they are peddling.

Thems are beneath my contempt.

I have an audio buddy who is gullible that way, I think because he has some deeply implanted FOMO in his brain. I love him, but he loves tossing money at some of these guys and will never be dissuaded. I think it actually spurs him on if you try! After buying little bags of stuff to hook up to his speaker terminals, or whatever, his appreciation drifts and those things go into his cabinet of audio curiosities. But, he's happy being told what to hear - and this brings another rambling point for me: Some people like being told what to hear and the snake oil salesman seem to be really good at some sort of weird hypnotic skill that makes people belief their crap. Svengali-ism is fascinating. A for my friend, I fear that as he gets old, he's gonna fall into a trap set by a Nigerian prince, or one of those pop-up computer security scams and he will end up living in my basement.

Thanks, I feel better.
What's lower than a snake's belly is whale dung at the bottom of the Mariana Trench. That's my benchmark for low. Politicians can often be found there.

Palladium

Maybe saying is it audible is a far better statement. If not, who cares? We can measure stuff all day long that is not audible. Even a sloppy blind test can prove it. Engineering level testing NOT required. This stuff has been settled decades ago by many engineers working for companies with serious money to invest in finding out the truth. Many audiophiles want to keep retesting the same old stuff decade after decade. Luckily most "real" testing has stopped as the science is settled. Oh well. That's a hobby for you, lots of speculation and not much based in reality. I always think of JJ and all his research. So many don't know about it that they ask the same questions over and over year after year.

195MHz? Clearly those clueless analog EEs has no idea what science on conductors actually are when they made my 4650MHz Ryzen CPU right?

And these AMD guys are only asking $150 for it, despite needing hundreds of billions of dollars of the most sophisticated manufacturing equipment known to man, so these guys are complete charities versus cable peddlers.

Last edited:

fatoldgit

Not sure if this is snake oil yet...

Will tell you once I get them installed... but first I need to strengthen my flooring.

At only $US 456 per kilo they are a bargain.

I am told the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is also very high so thats a plus.

1712535641873.png

mocenigo

Major Contributor

Will tell you once I get them installed... but first I need to strengthen my flooring.

View attachment 362145

I would venture that this is not necessarily snake oil. Pricey? Yes.

Forum Donor

View attachment 362145
That's not Mama Moya; that's Mama Mia! And You'll probably need one of these to have it delivered
iu

Top Bottom