• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Exhausted from looking... need recommendation for bedside DAC/AMP - under $800 I guess...

katonahshipppingman

HI
I know next to absolutely nothing about audio equipment.

But, I have had several DAC/AMP thingies for my headphones (a gently used Audeze LCD-X that I indulged in)- I've tried the ifi nano BL, the ifi Micro BL, Chord Mojo - from which I learned that I don't really want or need a portable. It's one more thing that needs charging and it gets hot.

I even have (and will be returning) a used Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies, which, despite lousy reviews, sounded great, but it wouldn't connect to my brand new Huawei Matebook X Pro laptop no matter what tech trick I tried - and I tried everything (even disabling Malwarebytes and installing and reinstalling every driver in the universe) short of stripping it of the sound card. It's beautiful with the tubes-- - and I love the sound in a way - but it only connects to my Google Pixel Phone..... so that was a pain in the .... It's a stunning piece of gear- and I paid $650 - and I think it does sound BETTER than anything that I have tried so far - although Chord Mojo was excellent (but definitely more digital sounding).

I even have this Nordost Purple Flare USB cable - and frankly I have no idea if it matters or sounds any better than the printer cable I was using/// but, of course the CableCo people insist that it needs to be 'burned in' for 100 hours or some such nonsense. I don't know. It was freakn $230!!!!

I've had the Schiit Modi, and Modi Multibit (and Magni) and even the Jotunheim Multibit.

I was thinking of settling with the Jotunheim Multibit and calling it a day.... BUT - the JDS Labs Element thing looks tempting to try.

So - I am using this on my small bedside table - so I don't really want components - hence the Jotunheim, etc.

If any of y'all have any suggestions-- please let me know. I own (as of June 1) a VERY busy shipping store in Katonah, NY, and I work about 70 hours a week - so I'm just so tired at this point - if you can offer suggestions for something bedside-ish - I'd really appreciate it. Thank you all for even reading this....

What would you recommend? The person who founded this forum- I have the deepest respect for that level of knowledge. Most of it goes right over my head(phones)!!!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
First you look to be a new member. So welcome to ASR.

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for you. Didn't want you to think no one had read your posting however. Someone will likely give you some good tips.

In any case, good to have you taking part here at ASR.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Why not try the Topping DX3Pro?

The person who founded this forum uses it on a daily basis.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I even have this Nordost Purple Flare USB cable - and frankly I have no idea if it matters or sounds any better than the printer cable I was using/// but, of course the CableCo people insist that it needs to be 'burned in' for 100 hours or some such nonsense. I don't know. It was freakn $230!!!!
You're absolutely right, there is no difference between the Nordost cable and the printer cable unless they are faulty.

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're absolutely right, there is no difference between the Nordost cable and the printer cable unless the are faulty.
Indeed. If there's ferrite on the cable it is sufficient to avoid hiss.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Since it's bedside, I guess you would use it at lower volume? Dx3pro with digital volume control is very nice. The only thing is you may hear noise floor with sensitive iems. But other than that it's really awesome.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both a DX3 Pro and a Grace M9XX (Current Version M900). They both sound great with My HD6XX (HD650).
Comparison: The Grace costs $650, is better built, smaller, the display optionally turns off, it's a lot prettier, easier to change settings, has 1/4" jacks, and sounds slightly more detailed. It does not get hot. The DX3 Pro is around $220, sometimes less, The sound is slightly laid back compared to the grace. The unit gets warm, but not hot. When the sample rate changes a relay in the DX3 Pro clicks. It isn't noticeable when wearing headphones.

Both units have been tested here. I have owned the Nano BL, Fio E10K, SMSL M2, Dragonfly Black 1.2 and Audioengine D1. Both the DX3 Pro and Grace are superior in that the others had various problems. The Fio broke and except for the D1 I returned the others.

I swapped both the DX3 Pro and Grace from my speaker system (LS50, Crown XLS 1502, Intel NUC) to the bedside (Lenovo X1) and back a few times before deciding that I liked the DX3 Pro sound better with the LS50's and prefer the ergonomics and 1/4" jack of the Grace at the bedside.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both a DX3 Pro and a Grace M9XX (Current Version M900). They both sound great with My HD6XX (HD650).
Comparison: The Grace costs $650, is better built, smaller, the display optionally turns off, it's a lot prettier, easier to change settings, has 1/4" jacks, and sounds slightly more detailed. It does not get hot. The DX3 Pro is around $220, sometimes less, The sound is slightly laid back compared to the grace. The unit gets warm, but not hot. When the sample rate changes a relay in the DX3 Pro clicks. It isn't noticeable when wearing headphones.

Both units have been tested here. I have owned the Nano BL, Fio E10K, SMSL M2, Dragonfly Black 1.2 and Audioengine D1. Both the DX3 Pro and Grace are superior in that the others had various problems. The Fio broke and except for the D1 I returned the others.

I swapped both the DX3 Pro and Grace from my speaker system (LS50, Crown XLS 1502, Intel NUC) to the bedside (Lenovo X1) and back a few times before deciding that I liked the DX3 Pro sound better with the LS50's and prefer the ergonomics and 1/4" jack of the Grace at the bedside.

More details with the Grace? How can science account for that?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
(clipped and snipped)
I have Audeze LCD-X, I've tried the ifi nano BL, the ifi Micro BL, Chord Mojo, a used Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies,, Chord Mojo, Nordost Purple Flare USB cable, printer cable, Schiit Modi, Modi Multibit, Jotunheim Multibit.

The JDS Labs Element thing looks tempting to try.

Exhausted from looking... What would you recommend?

Stop chasing something you might imagine from what somebody else mentions which may not exist.

Pick something and live with it for a while.

Me?

DAC - 6 years
Main Speakers - 21 years
Headphones - 6 years
Speaker Cables - 24 years
Amp/preamp - 7 years
TV - 9 years (due for replacement, losing pixels from top to bottom, 30 or 40 stripes visible on solid backgrounds, but almost never noticed with complex images, power hog, and hot (plasma), so beginning to look, but not chase, nor become exhausted)
HD Tuner - 5 years
CD Player (used as digital transport) - 4 years, replaced one 17 years old that became skippy

Newer stuff is mostly related to adjustments

A little sound absorption for the room
Room Correction software and hardware convolver
Cheap subs (experiment) and control

On the other hand, do what's right for you.

Have fun.

Last edited:

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The LCD-X is very efficient, so I'd recommend focusing your search around features more than power or any audiophile qualities.

The DX3 Pro looks like a safe choice.

wiggum

so I'm just so tired at this point

Wow, with just a single post you proved that your drank the koolaid. Sorry about your first world problems.

FWP-DAC.jpg

Jokes aside, don't drink the Schiit koolaid. Any DAC on a smartphone is competent enough to drive almost all headphones except those with high impedance. Some smartphones like iphones and a few models from LG/HTC can drive those too.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More details with the Grace? How can science account for that?
The difference is slight and the DX3 measures differently than the Grace. It could be the higher noise floor.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The difference is slight and the DX3 measures differently than the Grace. It could be the higher noise floor.

You are right. It could if you hear noise during silent passages. Not if you don't hear it.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right. It could if you hear noise during silent passages. Not if you don't hear it.
If you want to say all DAC's sound the same that's up to you. However, I provided a list of significant non SQ differences.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Wow, with just a single post you proved that your drank the koolaid. Sorry about your first world problems.

View attachment 29854

Jokes aside, don't drink the Schiit koolaid. Any DAC on a smartphone is competent enough to drive almost all headphones except those with high impedance. Some smartphones like iphones and a few models from LG/HTC can drive those too.

That is not correct.

Most handphones have no issues driving high efficiency headphones.

Most handphones have issues driving low efficiency headphones regardless of high or low impedance.

Try driving one of those early Hifiman or Audeze planars with any handphone. They are only in the 30~50 Ohm range.

FTM , I have the LG Quad DAC phones.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Stop chasing something you might imagine from what somebody else mentions which may not exist.

Best words of wisdom for audiophiles.

Here’s my “desktop rig” just under $800:
— AAA789 THX $440 (Massdrop).
— HD650 old (Massdrop HD6xx is around $199, I think)
— Topping D50 $140 (Massdrop)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Best words of wisdom for audiophiles.

Here’s my “desktop rig” just under $800:
— AAA789 THX $440 (Massdrop).
— HD650 old (Massdrop HD6xx is around $199, I think)
— Topping D50 $140 (Massdrop)

You could go even lower with a JDS Atom and maybe a Hifiman HD4XX or Sundara. But I leave headphones as a matter of personal tastes, some may like the HD6XX better than the Hifiman or vice versa.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
HI
I know next to absolutely nothing about audio equipment.

But, I have had several DAC/AMP thingies for my headphones (a gently used Audeze LCD-X that I indulged in)- I've tried the ifi nano BL, the ifi Micro BL, Chord Mojo - from which I learned that I don't really want or need a portable. It's one more thing that needs charging and it gets hot.

I even have (and will be returning) a used Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies, which, despite lousy reviews, sounded great, but it wouldn't connect to my brand new Huawei Matebook X Pro laptop no matter what tech trick I tried - and I tried everything (even disabling Malwarebytes and installing and reinstalling every driver in the universe) short of stripping it of the sound card. It's beautiful with the tubes-- - and I love the sound in a way - but it only connects to my Google Pixel Phone..... so that was a pain in the .... It's a stunning piece of gear- and I paid $650 - and I think it does sound BETTER than anything that I have tried so far - although Chord Mojo was excellent (but definitely more digital sounding).

I've had the Schiit Modi, and Modi Multibit (and Magni) and even the Jotunheim Multibit.

I was thinking of settling with the Jotunheim Multibit and calling it a day.... BUT - the JDS Labs Element thing looks tempting to try.

So - I am using this on my small bedside table - so I don't really want components - hence the Jotunheim, etc.

If any of y'all have any suggestions-- please let me know. I own (as of June 1) a VERY busy shipping store in Katonah, NY, and I work about 70 hours a week - so I'm just so tired at this point - if you can offer suggestions for something bedside-ish - I'd really appreciate it. Thank you all for even reading this....

What would you recommend? The person who founded this forum- I have the deepest respect for that level of knowledge. Most of it goes right over my head(phones)!!!

So, in a nutshell, it sounds like you want:

An AMP/DAC capable of hooking up to your notebook and driving the Audeze headphones while not taking up too much room on your nightstand.

Is that correct?

ScofieldKid

D70 + Atom ? (The SMSL SU-8 looks pretty flexible as well /edit)
Oh dang, just saw the Topping D50S review. Seems like D50S + Atom is the bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom