• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Eversolo Dac-Z6 vs SMSL M500 mk3

Eversolo Dac-Z6 or SMSL M500 mk3

• Total voters

luxpiotr

What to choose for music listen from studio speakers Focal Alpha 50 evo? I can buy used Eversolo Dac-Z6 or used SMSL M500 mk3 at the same price.
What is better option? I will connect Focals by XLR. Both DACs have volume memory that I dont blow up speakers (and ears) after power loss? I will plug sometimes headphones but speakers are main goal. Which dac have nicer sound signature, more 3d soundstage etc.? What to pick?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Amir has measured the SMSL

and the Z-6’s big brother the Z-8
There does appear to be a question mark over the SMSL.
Keith

dmilller

Buy on features, appearance and cost. You would never be able to discern audible differences in a properly constructed blinded test.

OP
L

luxpiotr

Ok, now I test and listen both at home. And no, they don't sound the same. The differences are palpable, but not enormous.. SMSL M500 mk3 has superior sound signature for me - smooth, full and not completly neutral, vocal more forward, legible and center focus between speakers. Eversolo is more analytical, detail sharp, neutral, more focus on highs and bottom, bottom end is slight different, midrange is not so pleasant, vocals not so palpable, but it generate better width effects - SMSL is more narrow but depth is better I think. I like listen SMSL more than Eversolo.
If you ask for build quality and features ofc Eversolo is superior. Screen on Eversolo is beautifull, remote is better, power button on front, whole unit is build like tank, heavy and looks more PRO.
I buy SMSL M500 mk3 for myself. I look only for most pleasurable sound signature. Other person may like neutral and analytical Eversolo more...

poxymoron

Ok, now I test and listen both at home. And no, they don't sound the same. The differences are palpable, but not enormous.. SMSL M500 mk3 has superior sound signature for me - smooth, full and not completly neutral, vocal more forward, legible and center focus between speakers. Eversolo is more analytical, detail sharp, neutral, more focus on highs and bottom, bottom end is slight different, midrange is not so pleasant, vocals not so palpable, but it generate better width effects - SMSL is more narrow but depth is better I think. I like listen SMSL more than Eversolo.
If you ask for build quality and features ofc Eversolo is superior. Screen on Eversolo is beautifull, remote is better, power button on front, whole unit is build like tank, heavy and looks more PRO.
I buy SMSL M500 mk3 for myself. I look only for most pleasurable sound signature. Other person may like neutral and analytical Eversolo more...
Face palm emoji.

Top Bottom