• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Equalising aging Ears

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1662992479895.png

Here you have average hearing loss upto 60 years.
Note that this the increase of the hearing threshold and not the level loss at each sound level!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At least for me at 68 yo, I find that flat response still sounds the most natural. I have full PEQ available for my active speakers, but whenever I set the treble "by ear", it ends up flat, maybe with a tiny downwards roll (1dB at 10kHz) starting at 6kHz. I can only surmise my brain has already EQd my hearing as it changes.

Hayabusa

At least for me at 68 yo, I find that flat response still sounds the most natural. I have full PEQ available for my active speakers, but whenever I set the treble "by ear", it ends up flat, maybe with a tiny downwards roll (1dB at 10kHz) starting at 6kHz. I can only surmise my brain has already EQd my hearing as it changes.
let me repeat:
"Note that this the increase of the hearing threshold and not the level loss at each sound level!"

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not me. I have always from a young age boosted the treble. Nothing much has changed other than my age is a lot older than before.
z peq.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmz. Come to think about it. By age 13 I had worn out a 2 cycle noisy chainsaw cutting firewood, mowed several hundreds of acres of lawn with a noisy 2 cycle push mower and had ridden 2 cycle motorcycles extensively. If I have hearing damage I say it is because of those noisy activities.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
let me repeat:
"Note that this the increase of the hearing threshold and not the level loss at each sound level!"
It would seem I'm verifying your statement (?)

Neuro

Age-related hearing loss affects not only the higher frequencies but also the ability to suppress the reflex sound. The precedence effect diminishes with age. It becomes increasingly difficult to hear conversations in larger groups. Best compensated by reducing the reflexes. A higher proportion of direct sound is most easily obtained by listening closer to the speakers.
Another problem with age-related hearing loss is a reduced ability to distinguish words/music in dense flow. Less dense music is often an unconscious choice.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
+1

But

The distinguish word music is not a problem.
Very few singers have correct diction. Listen to Tom York in Creep and Tom York now.

Hayabusa

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
At least for me at 68 yo, I find that flat response still sounds the most natural.

At 69 here, I agree.

If I can't hear it, I can't hear it.

My loss (since childhood, mother similarly afflicted) seems (never measured officially that I remember) more like brickwall than anything gradual.

If the stereo reproduces "correctly" then it won't further injure me, nor annoy others who may also be listening.

Unless they don't like the content, in which case, too bad.

Peterinvan

I use a free app on my PC (sinegen.exe) to do a quick test on the drop off in levels as frequency rises. At 74, I cannot really hear anything above 10Khz. This does not impact my enjoyment of my music. In Foobar2000 I add a 6db shelf starting at 2500 Hz.

In Tidal, I just take it as it comes. I now lean towards brighter phones and earphones. Pad and tip swapping has been rewarding.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Age-related hearing loss affects not only the higher frequencies but also the ability to suppress the reflex sound. The precedence effect diminishes with age. It becomes increasingly difficult to hear conversations in larger groups. Best compensated by reducing the reflexes. A higher proportion of direct sound is most easily obtained by listening closer to the speakers.
Another problem with age-related hearing loss is a reduced ability to distinguish words/music in dense flow. Less dense music is often an unconscious choice.
Aha! I've never been good at hearing conversations in reflective environments, but it has worsened considerably. Still haven't gone to less dense music, though.

Top Bottom