• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Enginerding with Weeb Labs

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Note that despite appearances, the lower driver is not a BMR; it is simply a flat coned midwoofer selected to match the appearance of the BMR above it.
Are you sure it's not a second BMR, but low passed to prop up the bottom end a bit? I guess that would be a 1.5 way.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure it's not a second BMR, but low passed to prop up the bottom end a bit? I guess that would be a 1.5 way.
You can clearly see the breakup of the second woofer in the individual plots.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On the other hand here ins Europe you can get often a pair of active JBL 305 for 200 € which probably beat them in most objective measurements.
Definitely. You probably wouldn’t be looking at these unless you specifically want something small or with very wide directivity.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

I have just finished capturing all of the requisite data for a CEA-2034A along with other measurements and will be publishing a full review shortly. Most likely this evening or tomorrow.

Here's a preview. There are a few things which complicate measurement for this type of driver.

1693691130548.png

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Nice!

They could use a little EQ but DI doesn’t look too bad.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Nice!

They could use a little EQ but DI doesn’t look too bad.
The 10KHz on-axis dip and reduced DI at that point is primarily being caused by the grille.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Congratulations! Very well done. I think this should be promoted to home page, @amirm

I would suggest high pass on the voice. It sounds like you've got quite a proximity effect going on. I use this free plugin called Nova for spoken voice processing. It can do a lot more than correct proximity effect and I didn't notice anything else to comment on in your audio so you could use something simpler.

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

Here's a crazy idea. Take one of these radar occupancy sensors with support for 30 zones and use it in conjunction with an ADAU1701, CamillaDSP or similar to trigger various indexed PEQs or IRs depending upon one's position in the room. The FP2 is very responsive.

The result is listener tracking room correction. If there is more than one pair of speakers in the room (desk and couch for example), we could even switch between them.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
One step beyond having it follow you from room to room - I assume that's already possible given various home automation servers supporting at least LMS and presumablyother multi-room audio systems.

MCH

Major Contributor
Here's a crazy idea. Take one of these radar occupancy sensors with support for 30 zones and use it in conjunction with an ADAU1701, CamillaDSP or similar to trigger various indexed PEQs or IRs depending upon one's position in the room. The FP2 is very responsive.

The result is listener tracking room correction. If there is more than one pair of speakers in the room (desk and couch for example), we could even switch between them.
I would imagine that the change would have to be gradual, otherwise it would be very noticeable and I bet weird sounding. Can the DSP tools you are considering do gradual EQ changes?
And what about audiophiles that don't live alone? Do we have to move around the house like a herd or the rest of the household has to deal with strange sound effects? :p

OP
Weeb Labs

Weeb Labs

I would imagine that the change would have to be gradual, otherwise it would be very noticeable and I bet weird sounding. Can the DSP tools you are considering do gradual EQ changes?
And what about audiophiles that don't live alone? Do we have to move around the house like a herd or the rest of the household has to deal with strange sound effects? :p
The idea is not to implement something that would follow the listener around and gradually adjust the correction but rather to demark specific positions around the room which the listener frequently occupies and apply the relevant filters when they are entered.

This would not be particularly useful for multiple listeners but as the radar sensor is capable of tracking multiple listeners, we could either switch filters or disable the correction altogether when more than one listener is detected.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
Hey @Weeb Labs I am thinking on doing something with the SRC4192, or maybe the 93. The objective is to have several sources at different sample rates and switch between them and have a SRC4192 to output a constant sample rate to a rpi (I will be using camilladsp).
How did your board work for you? Anything to complain about? Did you ever do source switching or sample rate changes on the fly? Does it react well? Did you use tdm with it? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Top Bottom