• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELI5: speaker impedance curves

kenshone

I've got some speakers that I'm looking at which advertise a relatively flat frequency response. OTOH, the impedance plotted vs. frequency is swinging all over the place, peaking at 40+ ohms in a few places, and dropping to ~6 ohms in others.

- Let's say that at frequency A, the impedance is 40, and at frequency B, the impedance is 6. My understanding is that for a given volume level, the amplifier's output voltage remains constant, but the current would decrease as the impedance increases, so that at A, the amp is outputting fewer watts than at frequency B. Despite that, the significantly different wattages, the SPL from the speakers remains the same, which implies that at point A, it takes a lot less power to output a given volume level than at point B. Are there any misconceptions or gaps in my understanding?

- What is magnitude/phase in an impedance chart?

Top Bottom