• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Contour 20

whyfi

I found a screaming deal on the Dynaudio Contour 20s. Brand new for 50% off MSRP. Listened to them for a few minutes in the store and they sounded "detailed" but definitely bright. Anyone have more experience with them and general thoughts?

litemotiv

I like the Contour range a lot, this line is historically not really known for being bright, usually they are regarded as a bit more on the warm-neutral side. The soft dome tweeter is not really harsh or exaggerated in the higher frequencies, but there is a slight recession in the upper midrange which could make the treble seem a bit more pronounced.

Measurements are available at Stereophile: https://www.stereophile.com/content/dynaudio-contour-20-loudspeaker-measurements

I'm curious about the room setup and pairing in the store, it could be that something was causing them to sound brighter than they normally would.

OP
W

whyfi

I like the Contour range a lot, this line is historically not really known for being bright, usually they are regarded as a bit more on the warm-neutral side. The soft dome tweeter is not really harsh or exaggerated in the higher frequencies, but there is a slight recession in the upper midrange which could make the treble seem a bit more pronounced.

Measurements are available at Stereophile: https://www.stereophile.com/content/dynaudio-contour-20-loudspeaker-measurements

I'm curious about the room setup and pairing in the store, it could be that something was causing them to sound brighter than they normally would.
Thanks for the info. Room was pretty big, I'd guess 25-ish feet long and wide. Ceiling was also high, in the 10-12 foot range. Thin carpet on what was probably a concrete floor. Speakers were positioned 3-ish feet from the wall and about 10-12 feet apart. Toed in slightly. I sat pretty far back, probably 12-15 feet away.

After listening to the Dyns, the guy played same track through Focal Kantas that were next to them and the difference was pretty big. Focals sounded dull by comparison which was a surprise.

Anyway, maybe I'll go back and audition again. Not that I am ready to buy new speakers but I was definitely impressed and the deal is hard to look past.

Top Bottom