• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DYI speaker project for a complete newbie

delta76

Major Contributor
Hi,

A crazy idea crossed my mind last night - what's about I build a pair of speakers? Have been a "software" guy for my entire "adult" life, it's time to make it harder - no more micro & soft!
Now I heard Hivi v3.1 is great, but it costs much more in EU where I live than in the US. Any alternative
Which kit should I consider? I would prefer a "complete kit" which sounds great once assembled (minimum cut or drill because I have no workbench atm).

And a bonus question: in term of tools, what should I buy? I have a screw set, a hand drill. Perhaps a soldering iron is a must?

Thanks.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When buildilng speakers, prefab kit or not, the hardest part is the finish. Getting a professional looking finished product is something that takes practice, patience, and skill. If you haven't ever done this type of project before (wood/cabinetry), expect that your finished product will very likely look like you made it, and it won't look professional. There are exceptions to this I'm sure, but putting out a very nicely finished set of DIY speakers on your first try is exceptionally difficult and rare if you don't at least have cabinetry skills. So, before you dive into this, I'd ask yourself if you are okay with speakers that may sound great, but totally look like you made them. If you don't like that outcome, are you okay with potentially building several speaker cabinets until you are ablet to accomplish a finish that you like?

Speaking from experience. :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depending on how critically you listen, I might argue getting the crossover right is the hardest part. Luckily, a good kit takes care of that for you.

Some kits come with nicely finished boxes, but a lot don't.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Hi,

A crazy idea crossed my mind last night - what's about I build a pair of speakers? Have been a "software" guy for my entire "adult" life, it's time to make it harder - no more micro & soft!
Now I heard Hivi v3.1 is great, but it costs much more in EU where I live than in the US. Any alternative
Which kit should I consider? I would prefer a "complete kit" which sounds great once assembled (minimum cut or drill because I have no workbench atm).

And a bonus question: in term of tools, what should I buy? I have a screw set, a hand drill. Perhaps a soldering iron is a must?

Thanks.

Whats your country?

FeddyLost

Which kit should I consider? I would prefer a "complete kit" which sounds great once assembled (minimum cut or drill because I have no workbench atm)
It depends on your real intention.
If you want good speaker cheaper than RRP, you can buy second hand.
If you want to make something wooden and audio, I'd start from subwoofer kit. It's the easiest DIY speaker that can be and in the worst case you can splatter the box with some warnex coating and hide it from view.
The main problem with DIY is loooooow resale value and impossibility to listen product until all investments are done. Good looking enclosure is also either troublesome or not cheap at all.
Just think about this.
I've tried DIY and would not recomment it unless you need the process instead of result.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends on your real intention.
If you want good speaker cheaper than RRP, you can buy second hand.
If you want to make something wooden and audio, I'd start from subwoofer kit. It's the easiest DIY speaker that can be and in the worst case you can splatter the box with some warnex coating and hide it from view.
The main problem with DIY is loooooow resale value and impossibility to listen product until all investments are done. Good looking enclosure is also either troublesome or not cheap at all.
Just think about this.
I've tried DIY and would not recomment it unless you need the process instead of result.
Honestly, I agree. If you look at it as a hobby, it's great. As an investment or cost-saving measure, not so much.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
I already have a system I am content with. So i am not really looking to save cost. Just to have some fun.
Subwoofer sounds good to but I think wood working will be required.
I am in Sweden

FeddyLost

So i am not really looking to save cost. Just to have some fun
If so, you can buy something decent second hand and try to "upgrade" it or re-engineer it.
Like maybe buy pair of KEF Q350 and try out to measure it and make a new crossover. Maybe dampen enclosures also.
So, you'll know how to measure speakers, how to use simulators, how to solder, what are the different filters, and how measurements are correlated with sound.
All investments will be measuring mic, soldering iron, some coils and caps and you'll be able to return speakers into original condition and sell off without losses.
By the way, coils can be winded by hand and caps can be rotary variable if you have some approximation.

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
If so, you can buy something decent second hand and try to "upgrade" it or re-engineer it.
Like maybe buy pair of KEF Q350 and try out to measure it and make a new crossover. Maybe dampen enclosures also.
So, you'll know how to measure speakers, how to use simulators, how to solder, what are the different filters, and how measurements are correlated with sound.
All investments will be measuring mic, soldering iron, some coils and caps and you'll be able to return speakers into original condition and sell off without losses.
By the way, coils can be winded by hand and caps can be rotary variable if you have some approximation.
Frankly the idea of "fixing" an old speaker is not as exciting as building something new :).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Frankly the idea of "fixing" an old speaker is not as exciting as building something new :).
If the old cabinet is really attractive, or has sentimental retro value, it can be rewarding. But it has many challenges, too.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you're after some fun and avoiding woodworking there are some other options. Over at diyaudio.com there are a number of threads using foamboard as a cabinet material. Usually it needs a sharp knife and some glue or tape. A couple of examples, but a search on the site should get you some more. May be referred to as foamboard, "foam board" or "foam core" and in this part of the world you can sometimes offer to 'recycle' old signage from the supermarket.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...lding-a-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can.225622/
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/mini-karlsonator-0-53x-with-dual-tc9fds.239338/

There are also some reasonably engineered 3D printed designs around if that's your sort of thing.
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/lcm_nearfield_monitor/

You could also take a look at the LXMini as there is very little woodwork involved.
https://www.linkwitzlab.com/LXmini/Design.htm
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/linkwitz_lx_mini/

Last edited:

FeddyLost

the idea of "fixing" an old speaker is not as exciting as building something
Without competences you have really low chance of making something new and decent.
Easiest and cheapest way of basic practical education IMO is what i've mentioned.
Otherwise you will effectively pay for possibility to become an assembly line worker with screwdriver without real creative value.

I've done one of projects by Troels Gravesen and it's exactly what I did. Just order cabinets, all components, solder everything in correct order and screw drivers inside.
Nothing really exciting but just some expectations.
And very low resale value as i've said.

Unfortunately, excitement of expectations prevented me from understanding this until i've finished.

Top Bottom