• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DSP vs speaker measurement

Linus

How important are speakers’ measurements/frequency response if you are to use DSP? Better invest in good speakers without DSP, or the other way around?
I’m considering a Minidsp SHD in he living room, as is it checks all the boxes of my needs in a “one box solution”. But do I still need a pair of Genelec or would JBL 30X do the trick?!
For about the same money; Minidsp SHD + JBL 306 mk II or a pair of Genelec 8040B through a decent preamp ?

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is a tough one. While it's true that you can remedy on-axis issues with EQ there's other aspects you kind of have to shell out money for. The JBL has really nice directivity which makes it EQ friendly but it has quite a lot of self-noise (hiss), port & cabinet resonances. Genelec has superior drivers resulting in way less distortion. These are little things but accumulate and unfortunately in a niche hobby like ours it's the little things that cost money.

I would also like to add that you need DSP for room correction anyways. Can't get rid of modal bass with dip switches only. So it's not entirely an either-or question.

Have you looked at the MiniDSP Flex perhaps combined with an inexpensive streamer like the Wiim Mini? This would save you some money, and probably be a more versatile and user friendly solution.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Another alternative might be speakers with built-in DSP. The new Adam A series spring to mind, in your case particularly the A7V.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The best would be to buy good speakers AND use DSP (the latter to adjust for the room, not the speakers).

"Correcting" poor speakers with DSP isn't really viable as they typically have inconsistent on / off-axis response. And if the actual manufacturer of the speakers weren't able to get the drivers to behave properly, you're not very likely to fare any better.

They may also have other problems like high distortion / poor power handling etc.

Note: Not talking about the JBLs here, but in general terms.

Olli

Forum Donor
If you're tempted to get the MiniDSP SHD: The best would be to buy good speakers AND sub(s) AND use DSP.

In my experience adding subs to a system combined with DSP has been the most rewarding investment by far. 30% of the perceived Sound quality is bass performance according to Science.

That's where the MiniDSP is really great because you can easily integrate up to 2 subs and set Crossovers + Time Delay for the subs to properly integrate them: https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-room-correction/sub-integration-with-dirac-live

Probably the Genelec 8030C is enough if you're room isn't super large and/or you're not listening to very high levels.

Depending on your location you can get a decent sub already around 600 USD/EUR, such as:

https://www.monoprice.eu/de/product...elect-certified-500-watt-powered-subwoofer-eu (EU and US)
https://www.rythmikaudio.com/L12.html (US, they also ship to Europe, but that's probably expensive)

If you want great looks for your living room Sigberg Audio has very nice looking flat subs that you could put underneath a sofa, but at a different price point:

I've just ordered one btw.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Good speakers every time, with the least amount of DSP you can get away with. DSP cannot fix a flawed speaker (and thanks to physics, they're all flawed to a certain extent).

OP
L

Linus

Have you looked at the MiniDSP Flex perhaps combined with an inexpensive streamer like the Wiim Mini? This would save you some money, and probably be a more versatile and user friendly solution.

I need an analog in for a turntable. I don’t like the idea of balanced speakers and unbalanced TT and a device that only do one or the other.
Plus, the idea to be able to use a NAS for music and one box solution is a big plus in favor of the SHD.

OP
L

Linus

Probably the Genelec 8030C is enough if you're room isn't super large and/or you're not listening to very high levels.

I already own a pair of 8020. But they are about 7 feet away (just over 2 meters) and feel they are a bit small for the job. Room is around 9x12 feet (2.75x3.65m). I was thinking about moving them to the office where they would be in a real near field environment. I’m wondering if I should keep them in my main system (with SHD) and get a pair of 305 for the office. Or getting a pair of 308 and putting the small Genelec in the office.
Never listen “really loud”, just “loud” ;)

sgent

I already own a pair of 8020. But they are about 7 feet away (just over 2 meters) and feel they are a bit small for the job. Room is around 9x12 feet (2.75x3.65m). I was thinking about moving them to the office where they would be in a real near field environment. I’m wondering if I should keep them in my main system (with SHD) and get a pair of 305 for the office. Or getting a pair of 308 and putting the small Genelec in the office.
Never listen “really loud”, just “loud” ;)

I would probably look at the Kali options over the JBL currently -- less noise and slightly better measurements. I think Amir has measured the v2 and I know ErinH has.

Top Bottom