• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do I upgrade next? Sub or DSP or Streamer

machinejump

Hi all.

I have a simple-ish setup: Streamer: Cambridge Audio CXN into a pair of Genelec 8040b's and a single BIC F12 sub. Setup does double duty 70/30 music to tv/movies

Upgrad-itis is presenting in the following conditions..
  • Swapping out the CXN for an Eversolo dmp-a6 - Slightly better measurements and love the bigger screen (90% of my listening is spotify so album art is fun)
  • Swapping out the CXN for a MiniDSP SHD - Get DSP and streamer bundled together
  • Adding a MiniDSP Flex into the chain - Get DSP into the mix but keep it separate for flexibility
  • Swapping BIC F12 a 'better' sub
As I type this out I think I am leaning towards addressing DSP first but looking for other opinions!

Thanks

M

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'd probably add DSP.

It helps get the best (or meet your tastes) from the other gear.

Is taking measurements on your plate?

That could be the first thing, if not.

DSP will require measurements so you can see what needs adjustment.

OP
M

machinejump

I'd probably add DSP.

It helps get the best (or meet your tastes) from the other gear.

Is taking measurements on your plate?

That could be the first thing, if not.

DSP will require measurements so you can see what needs adjustment.
Yea i picked up a UMIK-1 a month ago, but struggled a little bit figuring out exactly what I was doing with REW.. Followed some tutorials and was able to get some measurements just not sure I was doing it right.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Yea i picked up a UMIK-1 a month ago, but struggled a little bit figuring out exactly what I was doing with REW.. Followed some tutorials and was able to get some measurements just not sure I was doing it right.
It takes a while to get REW figured out I suspect for most people. Once you do, you’ll have a series of aha moments. I’d go for a DSP solution first.

Battlebeast

Measurements can be a rabbit hole, but very useful if you have the patience. If it were me, I'd upgrade the sub first. The Bic F12 is not very good.

12Many

Sub. Creating accurate sound is the foundation.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Certainly not streamer. DSP is the biggest bang for the $.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get the DSP, use the UMIK, you will get the biggest bang for buck there. You wouldn't think "just" cleaning up the 20-400hz range (or so) would make that much difference, but buddy, it does.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I saw the title my first thought would be sub but yours is decent. What are your goals in changing gear?

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
DSP for sure, you've already got the microphone. It's a rabbit hole for sure but you'll figure it out and get the best out of the gear you already have.

OP
M

machinejump

When I saw the title my first thought would be sub but yours is decent. What are your goals in changing gear?
its funny you say its a decent sub cause @Battlebeast a few posts before said not a good sub. haha

Goals... no specific goals other than chasing 'better' sound. Goal behind DSP would be to demystify the sound in my room (but i think it sound decent at the moment) Goal behind new sub would just be to explore what a 'better' sub sounds like - everyone online makes it sound like a good sub changes everything. Goal behind new streamer/dac would be for slightly better measurements but mostly just a sexy unit. haha.

OP
M

machinejump

DSP for sure, you've already got the microphone. It's a rabbit hole for sure but you'll figure it out and get the best out of the gear you already have.
Sub or dsp...flip a coin.....
Get the DSP, use the UMIK, you will get the biggest bang for buck there. You wouldn't think "just" cleaning up the 20-400hz range (or so) would make that much difference, but buddy, it does.
Certainly not streamer. DSP is the biggest bang for the $.
It takes a while to get REW figured out I suspect for most people. Once you do, you’ll have a series of aha moments. I’d go for a DSP solution first.

Yup, think I will start with the miniDSP Flex (unsure between Dirac or just REW) - and then after that I will address the sub, and then after all that I can reevaluate the streamer.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DSP for sure. Do not know what your source is, but miniDSP in either the Flex or Shd will likely be confined to Dirac Live and not have the Dirac DLBC which provides advanced bass management and crossover optimization. If you can, it would be best to source from your PC and incorporate Dirac Live Studio with DLBC. I have two SVS SB 2000's with my LS 50 Metas, and DLBC does an excellent job of making them work as one.

But, in any case, DSP will provide more improvement than anything other than new speakers or room treatments.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
its funny you say its a decent sub cause @Battlebeast a few posts before said not a good sub. haha

Goals... no specific goals other than chasing 'better' sound. Goal behind DSP would be to demystify the sound in my room (but i think it sound decent at the moment) Goal behind new sub would just be to explore what a 'better' sub sounds like - everyone online makes it sound like a good sub changes everything. Goal behind new streamer/dac would be for slightly better measurements but mostly just a sexy unit. haha.
I didn't say you couldn't get a better sub, but for the price the performance of the BIC is decent, altho was more thinking of the PL300 review at Audioholics. At sub frequencies its more about performance than a "sound", i.e. extension and distortion over what range of spl. The dsp I could see useful would be the measurement type as well as implementation of eq. Can't say I find this sort of stuff "sexy", tho....

radix

Major Contributor
I had the SHD for about a year, then switched to an Anthem STR preamp. I am not a fan of the SHD's user interface. Things are labeled only "RCA" or "XLR" or "COAX". If you have multiple inputs, only an expert or someone with a cheatsheet knows what's going on. The remote also has buttons that change the DSP settings but are only labeled "1" or "2" etc. and it's not obvious that you've changed anything.

If you're into tweaking filters, the SHD is fantastic. Functionality-wise, it's terrific. But if you want to share the stereo with multiple family members, it's tedious.

Maybe you only use 1 or 2 inputs? Perhaps that is workable. Oh, the Volumio install is an old version, so if you wanted modern features like multiroom, it's not there.

Top Bottom