• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Drummers you can't mistake

CapMan

Major Contributor
Didn't see Papa Jo Jones anywhere, or Max Roach, Kenny Clarke, Mel Lewis, Roy Haynes.

For the drummers amongst you and jazz fans in general I would recommend setting aside some time to listen to the inteviews Mel Lewis did with Loren Schoenberg. Runs to 23-odd hours, but an absolute treasure-trove of info and insight.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Jonathan "Sugarfoot" Moffett

And, whoever this may be, obviously he practices a lot:

buddyrich33

Its in my alias but I have to stan for Buddy Rich... I came by him in the 90s via another drummer also already mentioned, Neil Peart and his Burning for Buddy tribute CDs

That said one of my favourite drum tracks has always been the drum solo track from the Afrika 70 with Ginger Baker Live! album... featuring Ginger and Tony Allen.

In 2021 they finally release part 2 of it for the 50th anniversary and it is amazing.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Its in my alias but I have to stan for Buddy Rich... I came by him in the 90s via another drummer also already mentioned, Neil Peart and his Burning for Buddy tribute CDs
A great CD.

Neil P was a great rock drummer and clearly idolised Buddy, but he never swung nearly well enough to make a decent jazz drummer.

There is a live video of Cottontail with the Buddy Rich Big Band which is pretty painful to watch - just very clunky, stompy and little feel. Listen to his solo - bears no relation at all to the tune or structure of the song ….

No disrespect to NP, just not his thing

Last edited:

CapMan

Major Contributor
How about this

George Benson, Papa Jo Jones , Jimmy Slyde (tap dancer)

buddyrich33

A great CD.

Neil P was a great rock drummer and clearly idolised Buddy, but he never swung nearly well enough to make a decent jazz drummer.

There is a live video of Cottontail with the Buddy Rich Big Band which is pretty painful to watch - just very clunky and no feel.

I think I know the clip... Neil is basically cosplaying as Buddy as well ( right down to haircut, dress, drumkit graphic, etc...). Its not bad, but you are right it doesn't quite swing as hard as Buddy. Still I won't hold it against Neil, it was that same Burning for Buddy CD that got me into Jazz as a teenager in the 90s in the first place... (than again only a Canadian with a prog-rock Dad would be listening to Rush in the era of grunge to begin with...)

Another drummer not yet mentioned but started in Jazz then went onto more commercial Funk/Soul/R&B is Idris Muhammad... the guy can groove...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Simon Kirke
Interesting.
I'll have to give that a careful listen.
I quite like that album, but most of the instrumentation on it never seems to be displaced too far from thermodynamic equilibrium. Nope, not all of it... but most. ;)

Reed

I gravitate to drummers in trios since they are responsible for much more of the sound. So Stewart Copeland, Frank Beard, Neil Peart, etc. A few prog drummers like Gavin Harrison and especially Bill Bruford. And a number of jazz drummers. Lots of history there. So who or what is next? JD Beck, half of Domi and JD Beck. Part of the viral jazz movement. JD stops, starts, changes and basically disassembles the beat all while keeping the composition together. Very young dude.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
Any love for brush-master Bruce Mitchell?
I've been a fan of Durutti Column since their early days and Bruce has always added a magical ingredient and an absolute sense of enjoyment in playing as part of a group. You can see it in his face at every gig!
I think it was Tony Wilson that proffered 'Jazz musicians enjoy themselves more than any other type of musician.'
I think he was right.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I live in Rochester NY, home of Steve Gadd, an extremely well respected guy in music circles. I’ll throw Ringo on the list too. Sometimes lucky along with extreme talent can make a song you’ll never forget. He may not be Bruford but I’ve seen plenty of drummers screw his stuff up bad.

posvibes

Back in the late 1980's I saw John Scofield with Dennis Chambers on drums and Gary Granger on Bass at a jazz festival in Austria. Those guys were so tight and having such a great time and Chambers was physically the strongest drummer I have ever seen.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably the most prolific drummer covering all the bases including top ten hits was Hal Blaine.

Hard for me to get excited over drums as a 'solo' instrument, but I enjoy watching Senri Kawaguchi. A bit of controlled freneticism, but that's drums for you.

Top Bottom