• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DOP playback without sound in Topping D50

OP
L

lke7777777

when i play my dop file..only show pcm 176.4khz 32bits in d50 screen and zzzz sound output only....

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
thanks again...Patrick1958...
would u mind to explain more...dsd wasapi event have a lot of words follow it...which one is correct...

For windows sound manager :

Wasapi is windows answer to the Steinberg Asio driver. Asio was developed to provide bit perfect and direct output path/communication between computer and dac. However i have my doubts with a driver being bit perfect that puts a dither signal in the music by default when no resampling is performed, Asio does that by default, -96 db for 16 bit -129 for 24 bit (don't know for 32 bit, never experimented with 32 bit recordings), no matter what the sample rate. Windows wasapi also does so but only when sound manager is set to 16 bit, in 24 bit setting no dither is added.
windows sound manager 24 bit trim.jpg

When outputting DSD whether in Native or Dop there is no need to add extra dither because in native mode there is already a dither signal in the music file and in Dop mode there is a conversion begin done from pcm to dsd in the foobar asio driver and dither is added. This is important to know why it is best to set the windows manager to 24 bit to avoid adding yet another dither signal.

For Foobars device settings :

To output DSD dop foobar asio driver needs to be installed when source is a native dsd. The native file is being converted to pcm, upsampled to 176400 for DSD 64, 352800 for DSD 128 etc. Then a marker is added to fool the dac into believing it is receiving a native DSD signal. The resampler adds dither which makes sense if a 48 Khz files is being converted to to DSD, not so for a 44.1 Khz files (lots of documentation on the internet about resampling/upsampling and how and when to apply dither) To be short DSD was developed by Sony and Philips to provide "High Resolution Experience" and 99% of the recording studios record in a multitude of 44.1 Khz.
When Foobar asio (foo_dsd_asio) is installed go to preferences/output/Asio.
foobar asio driver trim.jpg

Double click on the foobar asio driver. Set the menu Asio driver to your DAC, set DSD playback method to DoP Marker for dop output. Fs : to whatever dsd the dac is able to output and then close.

foobar control panel trim.jpg

foobar control panel dop trim.jpg

Tip here, double clicking on the foo_dsd_asio will not open when multiple dac drivers are installed, deinstall not physical connected dac drivers.
Now in the left menu click on output and you will indeed see lots of outputs depending on what drivers/dacs are being installed. Same tip here again, it is better to deinstall all dac drivers that are not physical connected to the computer. When choosing the DSD asio (topping) foobar will output using the topping dac driver. When choosing DSD Wasapi windows (windows sound manager) will choose its own asio driver with no extra added dither when set to 24 bit.
foobar dsd wasapi event trim.jpg

For both setting in PUSH mode foobar will push packages to the dac, in event mode the dac will pull packages from foobar. Which one is better depends on your dac. When in Push mode and you hear interuptions/ticks/crackles problem will most probably be solved by switching to event mode.

The normal wasapi modes (no dsd) are bit perfect modes, no further explanation needed i think. However, best to keep windows sound manager in this mode also in 24 bit.

Volume setting, it is important to keep both in Windows Sound manager and (in your case Topping control panel) the Dac control panel to max volume. Lowering volume in any of both manager will corrupt the dop marker written in the pcm file and you will only hear noise in the background
Singxer control panel volume trim.jpg

windows sound manager max volume trim.jpg

Hope this helps.

OP
L

lke7777777

Really thanks for your detail guide...i think i need to uninstall foobar to set it up again...million thanks for your helps

Top Bottom