• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Anything Surpass The JBL STAGE A130's?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Save up another $300 and get the HiVi DIY 3.1 kit.

For good sound on a budget I'd strongly consider headphones instead of speakers.

Barry_Sound

At the price of $200 a pair ("Special Purchase") with free s/h from Crutchfield.

Cant comment on these lower end JBLs but if your budget is tight why not look for used (well taken care of) speakers?

Edit: I hear good things about the Sony SSCS5. You can get them new from Amazon. If they are bad, send them back easily.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just a personal experience, I bought the 130s based on the review here and I hated how it sounds, even after I paired it up with a sub. No eq used. Thin, shrill, lack of body and weight. Save up a wee bit more and get a better speaker.

Bsmooth

How about the Polk XT15 instead. Erin's review was good, and they are on sale.

svinyard

JBL Studio 530's are like 230$ with free shipping and free returns iirc. That's a pretty big step up correct? I'm in the same boat, looking for some 200$-ish speakers but hard to filter out the goods from the average stuff.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
At the price of $200 a pair ("Special Purchase") with free s/h from Crutchfield.

Cant comment on these lower end JBLs but if your budget is tight why not look for used (well taken care of) speakers?

Edit: I hear good things about the Sony SSCS5. You can get them new from Amazon. If they are bad, send them back easily.
How about the Polk XT15 instead. Erin's review was good, and they are on sale.
ELAC Debut 2.0 5's would be a good option.
JBL Studio 530's are like 230$ with free shipping and free returns iirc. That's a pretty big step up correct? I'm in the same boat, looking for some 200$-ish speakers but hard to filter out the goods from the average stuff.

If have you or anyone has $40 more I preferred the JBL Studio 530 fantastic deal when on sale for $240.
I preferred them to all of the above mentions.
The 530's are very good speakers comparable to most anything under $800 suggested retail prices that I have heard.

All MHPO
The Sony SSCS5's sound like very budget level "hifi" speakers. Okay - nothing more.
The Polk XT15's are very good for low$. (strangely I did not care for the XT20's)Maybe use PEQ or tone control to shave a 1db or so off the treble.
ELAC B5.2's. Okay speakers, JBL 530's are much much better. I also preferred the A130's to the ELAC's.

CardiganB

Erin's foul flavored A130 is nothing more than an alignment error. Here's mine, purchased fall of 2023, alignment restored by reversing polarity on both speakers. Try it. You will be stunned at the result. Everything improves.... imagining, resolution, vocal presence, clean low end....it's all there.
index.php

Attachments

• IMG_20240215_032120678.jpg
    IMG_20240215_032120678.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:

Barry_Sound

Erin's foul flavored A130 is nothing more than an alignment error. Here's mine, purchased fall of 2023, alignment restored by reversing polarity on both speakers. Try it. You will be stunned at the result. Everything improves.... imagining, resolution, vocal presence, clean low end..it's all there.
index.php
Is this a parody?

CardiganB

.....A130 are not ordinary speakers. JBL refer to Stage as "advanced" design for a reason. And don't tell me polarity is of no consequence. It is with these things..good vs astonishing

CardiganB

No, it's not a joke and I'm no posturing clown...do you really think JBL set out to build a speaker with recessed vocals and boomy mid-bass??

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this a parody?
I hope so, if Erin's A130 would have a polarity issue one one of the drivers there would be a suckout dip on-axis in the crossover region which isn't the case, it is correctly off-axis:
SPL%20Vertical.png

Beave

Major Contributor
I hope so, if Erin's A130 would have a polarity issue one one of the drivers there would be a suckout dip on-axis in the crossover region which isn't the case, it is correctly off-axis:

But he (the poster CardiganB) isn't talking about reversing the polarity of one of the drivers. He's talking about reversing the polarity of the entire speaker (and both speakers in his stereo pair).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But he (the poster CardiganB) isn't talking about reversing the polarity of one of the drivers. He's talking about reversing the polarity of the entire speaker (and both speakers in his stereo pair).
That's even more silly then.

Top Bottom