• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does anyone recognise this 20W NONAME speaker?

Martinvb

IMG_9305.jpeg
Today I ran into these unbranded, small 20W 4 ohm in a local thrift shop (above). I bought them, because they looked quite similar to the Philips DCD 7010 that I use (and love) in one of my home systems (below). I actually prefer the sound of the NONAMEs to a pair of Kef C15, which were much more expensive and have about the same form factor. The woofer of the noname has a marking on it: S G 4ohm 20W 50417. They may have been bundled with a midi system. Does anyone recognise the brand / origin of these speakers?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
OP
Martinvb

Martinvb

they look like Blapunkt's (well, the sino version of what's left of it lately)

View attachment 322053
You’re right, these are the ones! Thanks for your help. Sad that the new brand owners didn’t even bother to put their name on these boxes, as there is nothing to be ashamed of. I’m amazed by the sound quality of some of these low budget speakers that come with relatively cheap sound systems.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Penelinfi

OP
Martinvb

Martinvb

In the version that I have there seems to be a yellowish plastic cone at the base of the tweeter, covered with a loosely woven translucent dome, which does not seem to be involved in producing sound: just eye candy. It might explain why brands do not (or are not allowed to) put their logo on speakers like this, when there are so many small variations in the looks made for different brands. Still, although cheaply produced, they sound quite decent.

Attachments

• IMG_9317.png
    IMG_9317.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9316.png
    IMG_9316.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9315.jpeg
    IMG_9315.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 42

Penelinfi

Those thin fabric domes are ok; can sound a bit "ssshhh" but usually crossed high with a capacitor. Can be quite airy sounding, partially due to the rising treble that usually results.

OP
Martinvb

Martinvb

IMG_9304.jpeg
Yes, I was amazed that there was no true filter present in the speaker, only one small capacitor in the lead to the tweeter. I swapped it for a proper 2-way filter, without any appreciable effect on sound quality (although I should have measured it properly, of course). By now, the industry knows exactly which corners can be cut to save on costs, without messing up the sound.

D

Deleted member 48726

View attachment 322161Yes, I was amazed that there was no true filter present in the speaker, only one small capacitor in the lead to the tweeter. I swapped it for a proper 2-way filter, without any appreciable effect on sound quality (although I should have measured it properly, of course). By now, the industry knows exactly which corners can be cut to save on costs, without messing up the sound.
Even Jamo's mid-level speaker (Studio line) had this abysmal "crossover". :)

1698582995191.png

Top Bottom