• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you listen to new music?

Tks

Major Contributor
Meh I like pretty much most music. Past year has been a heavy dive into Ambient and Classical (never really understood classical until I sat down and listened to it without it being as if it was on a radio passively in the background).

I especially like music that isn't compressed these days(I literally get tired and basically deaf after a while). Very nice and relaxing/enjoyable stuff is mostly what I dig now. Also been seeing what the whole vaporwave ordeal is about (lots of garbage, but there are some gems). Currently exploring Jazz and Country (never thought I'd listen to country tbh). Jazz on the other hand has been a bit meh. The newer avante-garde or improvised stuff is just puzzling to me (in the worst way possible).

Oh a quick note on classical. What a piece of shit to maintain metadata for.. and fill in missing fields (really hit or miss for things like conductors/composer fields, let alone performers tags and such).

Taking a look back at the hoard of music since the iPod days, I can't even realiably say I feel as if I'm the same person. Tastes have changed so much I can't believe it.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you think the "finding new music" feature in Roon is a significant factor in subscribing? I use Spotify for new music then listen primarily on Qobuz. I'm tempted to subscribe to Roon for this feature as well. I stream only, have zero interest in metadata, but Roon appeals for the sound quality aspect and the ability to discover new music. what do u think?
Absolutely. I'll listen to a new record I'm grooving on, and then Roon takes over. I hear new things I follow up on all the time.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think the "finding new music" feature in Roon is a significant factor in subscribing? I use Spotify for new music then listen primarily on Qobuz. I'm tempted to subscribe to Roon for this feature as well. I stream only, have zero interest in metadata, but Roon appeals for the sound quality aspect and the ability to discover new music. what do u think?
I would rate Spotify higher. Roon, however has that uncanny ability to merge various sources/libraries (Qobuz, Tidal and a few others) into one , in to yours, a very personalized library and recommending music from that, composite library. I don't know if Spotify has such . I would say that this is possible because of the metadata, your non-interest notwithstanding.
It should be noted that ROON does even more: it has a convolution engine and it does multi-room. I have only scratched the surface of what it can do...

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I would rate Spotify higher. Roon, however has that uncanny ability to merge various sources/libraries (Qobuz, Tidal and a few others) into one , in to yours, a very personalized library and recommending music from that, composite library. I don't know if Spotify has such . I would say that this is possible because of the metadata, your non-interest notwithstanding.
It should be noted that ROON does even more: it has a convolution engine and it does multi-room. I have only scratched the surface of what it can do...
thanks, could you expand on the "convolution engine" and what it does for us? Is the Roon Nucleus only of interest to those with large music libraries?

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Spotify's 'discover' section is the greatest thing since sliced bread, IMO. It's a disappointing day when I don't happen on something new to me that I like but haven't heard before. However, I don't concern myself much whether it was recorded in 1920 or 2020. We now have 100 or so years of recorded music of every genre imaginable from any country in the world available to us at the click of a mouse. It would be odd to only listen to music recorded within, say, the last 2 years or even the last 20 years. But of course the chance that a new release will be as good or better than an old one is getting slimmer by the day. There is nothing new under the sun.

That said, a good many of the albums I've added to my Spotify collection within the last couple of weeks or so are released within the last 5 years. Some new(ish) artists, some old fave's. All great stuff ...

Katrin Finch & Seckou Keita - Soar (2018)
Deerhoof - Future Teenage Cave Artists (2020)
Bas Jan - Yes I Jan (2018)
This is the Kit - Moonshine Freeze (2017)
Mary Halvorson & John Dieterich - A Tangle of Stars (2019)
Roger & Brian Eno - Mixing Colours (2020)
Lankum - Between the Earth and Sky (2017)
House and Land - House and Land (2017)
Anarchist Republic of Bzzz - United Diktatürs of Europe (2016)
Jonathan Stout - Pick it and Play it (2018)
The Kropotkins - Portents of Love (2015)
Cambodian Space Project - Electric Blue Boogaloo (2015)
Cowboy Junkies - Ghosts (2020)
Khruangbin - Hasta El Cielo (2019)
Marc Ribot - Songs of Resistance 1942-2018 (2018)

It's so good that Spotify have at last recinded their 10000 track limit!

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I can't be the only one who feels a bit cringeworthy towards some music I used to love when I was younger :facepalm:.

I remember, at the tender age of seven in 1972, I bought Electric Warrior by T-Rex and In Search of Space by Hawkwind (with the big fold out Barney Bubbles sleeve!) from my big sister's friend. All for the princely sum of 50p. They are both still favourites and still get played regularly (in their digital incarnations). I do admit my once cherished poster of Marc Bolan is now safely back in the album cover ...

I don't really think there's any music I have once liked that I don't still enjoy, at least on occasion. Of course my tastes have expanded in the ensuing decades, especially in recent years, due to there being so much more music readily available. But pretty much everything I used to like, I still like.

OK, The Funky Gibbon by The Goodies was not a high point, I admit ... ;-)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're spot on with "music I used to love when I was younger". Some of it still sounds great (The Smiths, amongst others) but I made the mistake (imho) of streaming the Happy Mondays recently. I saw them in concert in Leeds, UK in 1989 and let's just say that they were not as good as I remembered.

You can remember?!!

Webninja

Forum Donor
I have tried all the music streaming platforms. I currently have Tidal and Apple Music, but Spotify is king for discovery. I use the free version of Soundiiz https://soundiiz.com/ to copy playlists from Spotify to Tidal. This gives me the best of both worlds.

I am always looking for new music, still enjoy music from 60s-90s, less early 2000s, but there really are some great gems you can encounter in your searches.

Christine and the Queens
Oh Wonder
Robot Koch
Alice Merton
Chromatics

Just to name a few artists I’ve found.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
could you expand on the "convolution engine" and what it does for us?

Convolution applies an FIR filter to the music signal.

Here's the frequency response of an FIR filter I have handy:

1599687759776.png

As you might notice, the filter can be arbitrarily complex.

The "send to DSP" button sends the FIR data to my convolver, in this case a miniDSP box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution_theorem

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Top Bottom