• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you listen to new music?

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you listen to new music?

I notice a rich variety of posts on What are we listening to right now., but I was wondering if people on this forum listen to much new music?

I'm really talking about "popular" music in its broadest musical sense (rock, pop, soul, country, folk etc.) that has been recently recorded.

Now I love listening to Bob Dylan, Neil Young, the Stones, the Beatles, Nick Drake, Joni Mitchell and a variety of other artists, but my main listening focus is recently released stuff. 2020 highlights have included albums by Woods, Stephen Malkmus, Real Estate, Rose City Band, Courtney Marie Andrews, Frazey Ford, Nicole Atkins, Bill Callahan, Emily Barker.

This is very much about what you actually listen to, what you instinctively go for. After a hard day when you unwind, is it 2020 or 1970?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A combination of perusing Pitchfork and The Quietus online for guidance plus new releases highlighted to me by streaming . I use spotify for mobile/ casual listening and Qobuz and local files (CD rips) via Roon for main hifi.

I have found for me - I put my new music additions (for the year) plus a hundred or so older favourite albums in a big 2020 playlist and shuffle through this in the car/ mobile on Spotify

Qobuz doesnt allow such big playlists so for home listening I just shuffle my entire album library. Thats something like 60000 tracks

Both these methods mean I get a mixture of familiar tracks and things I have never heard. Very rare that I listen to full albums anymore .

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
New?

Not much.

Fake Motto: "If they ain't daid, they ain't played".

Once in a while I'll skim the current top 40 or 100. Doesn't take but a few minutes to cover them all. Play skip skip next.

I play/skipped the first few in the list just now.

Most recent album in my collection came out last week. New enough?

Physical or Virtual collection?

mil

I have been listening to Heavy Metal, EDM, Hardcore, JCore, Speecore, Gaba etc. all my life, every new release I could find.

But since I upgraded my equipment this year (DAC, headphones, amp, speakers) I have switched to mostly old Jazz, Blues etc., i.e. the genres I was avoiding like the plague all these decades became my favorite pass time.

Records from the 60's are "new music" to me :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a qobuz subscription which gives links to new releases and playlists of suggestions.
I do listen to them, I have put some tracks into my favourites, though I do not check to see how recent they are before doing so.
I haven't liked anything enough to buy it very often though.

OP
Sukie

Sukie

Forum Donor
A combination of perusing Pitchfork and The Quietus online for guidance plus new releases highlighted to me by streaming.
I look in at Pitchfork but Uncut Magazine is my Bible.
Very rare that I listen to full albums anymore .
I'm still an album listener. Can't work out if it's just a throwback to CD usage or if it's because I like to listen to something all the way though (I have been known to give up well before the end on some occasions though).

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Actually, over the past couple years I have started finding "newer" music to add to my playlist. Courtney Barnett, Daft Punk, Jamiroquai, Neko Case, Spoon. Recently I've kinda been digging ambient/trance type stuff. Really love some Boards of Canada stuff...

5wavesup

Constantly searching for new bands. I am an album guy, playlists are fine when I am not really paying attention though. I look through reviews but I don't like to read the reviews until after I hear an album myself. Metacritic does a good job of aggregating reviews...I check out the albums >~65 in certain categories...Throw the albums with potential in a playlist and comeback to the albums often. I also enjoy Angry Metal Guy, Pitchfork, and suggestions from Spotify. I will have to check out Uncut Mag.

OP
Sukie

Sukie

Forum Donor
I look through reviews but I don't like to read the reviews until after I hear an album myself.
I often read reviews before listening (gives me a hint at what to expect) but I always read in more detail after listening. Very different experience.

ElNino

I find that I mostly listen to new music. Occasionally I'll dip into things that are classics for me, but I can't be the only one who feels a bit cringeworthy towards some music I used to love when I was younger :facepalm:. I'm glad I never went through with getting any lyrics tattoos at the time.

eddantes

TBH I find that these days, I don't listen to "old" music. I'm constantly hunting for new sounds that please me. Sure there are obessions that take hold for months or a couple of years, but usually I'm on the prowl for the "next thing". Old obsessions - I can't seem to last even through one album anymore :-( I think this condition may be found in the DSM.

OP
Sukie

Sukie

Forum Donor
I find that I mostly listen to new music. Occasionally I'll dip into things that are classics for me, but I can't be the only one who feels a bit cringeworthy towards some music I used to love when I was younger :facepalm:. I'm glad I never went through with getting any lyrics tattoos at the time.
You're spot on with "music I used to love when I was younger". Some of it still sounds great (The Smiths, amongst others) but I made the mistake (imho) of streaming the Happy Mondays recently. I saw them in concert in Leeds, UK in 1989 and let's just say that they were not as good as I remembered.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

oh for sure there's some stuff I loved when I was younger that sorta has my eyes rolling upwards now, lol.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I stopped reading music reviews over 20 years ago.
I read a review in Stereophile of an album I bought the day it was released. I disagreed with almost everything the reviewer wrote, and some of it was just ridiculous. She obviously didn't like the artist.
It is obvious reviewers are quoting their preference so if my taste is different to theirs and I believe their review I may not even listen to a record I would have liked.
I still listen to the record she slagged off in the 1990s but I haven't bothered to read a review since.

EB1000

I've lost any interest in anything post-1995... Today's music is pure garbage. Just look at all the weirdos and lowlives at all the recent music award shows... I do make some exceptions when a true artist like Bob Dylan or Alanis Morissette have a new release, but I only download the album from Tidal. Never bother to actually buy anything...

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I've lost any interest in anything post-1995... Today's music is pure garbage. Just look at all the weirdos and lowlives at all the recent music award shows... I do make some exceptions when a true artist like Bob Dylan or Alanis Morissette have a new release, but I only download the album from Tidal. Never bother to actually buy anything...

sorry, but that's a ridiculous statement. Check out some Wilco for goodness sake! There's been tons of great music since the 90's. Since when have award shows been any barometer?? Ludicrous...

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You're spot on with "music I used to love when I was younger". Some of it still sounds great (The Smiths, amongst others) but I made the mistake (imho) of streaming the Happy Mondays recently. I saw them in concert in Leeds, UK in 1989 and let's just say that they were not as good as I remembered.

Was that the Elland Road gig? I was at that!

EDIT- maybe not, I would have only been 12 in 89. But I was defo at high school when i went to it. Call the Cops!

mansr

Major Contributor
My collection ranges from baroque to modern, oldest recordings from the 1930s. Currently listening to a Theon Cross release from last year. The top chart stuff can die in a fire for all I care.

Reviews can be useful if you find a reviewer whose tastes align with yours. Then again, these days it's easy to sample tracks before buying, so reviews are mostly unnecessary for me.

Top Bottom