• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Do high-efficiency speakers really have better 'dynamics'?

Newman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Because we are a bit OT, may I ask, have you read Toole, first and third editions?

fineMen

Because we are a bit OT, may I ask, have you read Toole, first and third editions?

Not the least me thinks--it is about how to gain knowledge and for what purpose.

This started with a quite simple put, yet bold, but unsupported claim by an audiophile, an experienced one.

A pro suggested to start with an analogy. Namely from optics. This was shown to work not.

Nevertheless the term "dynamics" was mapped to "echo-free". Still it makes no sense.

While discussing "echo-free" as synonymous to "dynamic", especially targeting commercial solutions, the arguments left all other aspects behind.

When it comes to Toole I would propose to take the whole into account. Starting at one end of the "circle of confusion", namely how is it made in the studio? Where does it end at home, is the next question.

Is it feasable to even reduce reflections / reverberation, if the sound engineer calculated those in when producing the media?

Is reverberation relevant to dynamics at all?

And the least, really, to talk of oneselves as a machinery that has to be tricked, can read, sometimes, a bit annoying.

fineMen

So….no?
Third Edition gave me relief. No such thing as an 'original'. Nothing to chase after without any hold to grep, floating free space in high fidelity vacuum, weightless.

High Fidelity advertizing tells You, that stereo is about tricking Yourself. The only honest claim in there.

So still, how does an analogy to optics, introduced by an P/A pro, a blurred picture relate to dynamics? How does a specific design, described as being "highly efficiant" correlate to "less reverberant"? Why is the natural reverberation in the musical scene forgotten?

Why do folks relate to the most effective speakers, but forget about the least effective for comparison?

Not the least, my personal experience is, there is no difference in "dynamics" as long as speakers are used within their limitations.

I may appear as an audiophobe, I love music.

fineMen

... may appear as an audiophobe, I love music.
Let me introduce to You: Tierra Whack

... some well known "rap" moment; these quiet pauses in between. As to emphasize what is said/sung before / next. Meaning! Dynamics, and if so why not?!

I love to hear that my current stereo doesn't break in front of full level 30Hz boom-bam! But as it comes to dynamics as a discrimination between loud and silent, no diff compared to my 80dB/watt humble shelf occupying nothings. Current system is capable of delivering 110db bursting with laughter at 10 Watts. Want more?

Audophiles should command science--alone! So many questions regarding the true nature of music! Importance, man, if I only had that much of an overconfidence, I would candidate for president on Mars.

Last edited:

kyle_neuron

I love to hear that my current stereo doesn't break in front of full level 30Hz boom-bam! But as it comes to dynamics as a discrimination between loud and silent, no diff compared to my 80dB/watt humble shelf occupying nothings. Current system is capable of delivering 110db bursting with laughter at 10 Watts. Want more?
I don’t see the science in claiming 110 dB SPL output at 10 Watts input, from an 80 dB 1 Watt / 1 metre sensitivity. 20 dB less than that, perhaps?

For a start, peak voltage would be more useful. Secondly, sensitivity is not efficiency, much as they are related.

If we looked at a ‘max SPL’ rating for a loudspeaker as the threshold where broadband distortion reaches 3%, things would be a lot clearer. Pun intended.

fineMen

I don’t see the science in claiming 110 dB SPL output at 10 Watts input, from an 80 dB 1 Watt / 1 metre sensitivity. 20 dB less than that, perhaps?

For a start, peak voltage would be more useful. Secondly, sensitivity is not efficiency, much as they are related.

If we looked at a ‘max SPL’ rating for a loudspeaker as the threshold where broadband distortion reaches 3%, things would be a lot clearer. Pun intended.

A misconception, I've got the two and more, namely distict models 80dB/W and 100dB/W simultaneously. I'm not an experienced expert, though. Ehm, when it comes to microdynamics, listen to Noname, Window. The chorus. No distractions from reflections, just "gestalt".

Seems I lough at You ;-) Loud, dynamically, increasing comicality--what shall I do?!

Top Bottom