• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIYing an acoustically transparent desk

MachOne

Just after some input on an idea that's been kicking about in my head for a while now. I use a set of Kali LP-6 for mixing, which I love, but putting them on a desk really impacts the sound. I realise you can do a lot with EQ, but the less needed the better. To that end, I've been wondering about building an acoustically transparent desk (or as near to as possible) using a steel frame with thick open steel mesh, on top of which would be placed some rigid acoustic absorption panel as the desktop. The speakers and monitor could be sitting on supports contacting the mesh or frame directly via holes cut through the panel or speaker mounts attached to the rear frame edge.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

unpluggged

So will it be a transparent or an absorbent desk, after all? AFAIK, there are indeed desks with mesh tops that are being used for this purpose. And here is a video that mentions experimenting with absorption panels on the desk:

Another option is to use a desk with angled top to divert the reflections away from your LP.

OP
M

MachOne

So will it be a transparent or an absorbent desk, after all?
I guess both, depending on the frequency? I obtained very cheaply a few large sheets of Autex Quietspace 25mm which has a fairly rigid layer near the top that would work well in this application. Thanks for the link!

Top Bottom