• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

display recommendation needed

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi,
For a diy dac project i am working on, that uses a ESP32 as microcontroller, i want to add a display. At first, the idea was to show only the volume so basically any of these 0.96 inch SSD1306 would do. I already did something similar long time ago and it is easy and well documented.

But when i was in the internet trying to refresh my memory on how to set it up and write the code, i realized that we have come a long way since the days those tiny displays were a thing. Now i see drivers and tutorials to implement things like 20 euros 2.8" color touch screen TFT displays with Arduino IDE, wow!
I think, at least in theory, it is very feasible to have a cool interface to change some settings of the DAC via touch screen, or even without touchscreen, show temporarily what you are changing when you press a button of the remote control, or have some extra space to show something else than volume, or just to show it bigger.

The thing is that the examples one finds in youtube are mostly the stock examples that tell nothing about real use, and in them everything looks cool, but then in real life, you receive the display and think, what? i cannot put more than one button in this; the color is crap; the response is slow....

I wanted to ask here for real life experiences and recommendations, my objectives and limitations are the following:

- i have a max of 7 GPIO i can use
- logic must be 3.3 V, but 5 V power supply is available, should not consume a lot
- a library in Arduino IDE that i can use with the ESP32 is a must.
- i am open to monochrome, color, touchscreen or not, oled, tft, lcd... I think i favor monochrome vs color though
- SPI and I2C are preferred. But i believe with I2C won't get too big nor complex (i don't know if this is true)
- at least 2 inches
- less than 50 euros
- i value more functionality than beauty
- I am not planning to show artwork, pictures nor animations, just functional parameters of the DAC.

I have also discoverd Nextion displays, that you can design the GUI in a real computer and then feed data from a microcontroller. Anyone has experience with them?

thanks a lot for your input.

I have also discovered

Top Bottom