• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Direct DAC-to-power amplifier connection ok?

Zeno

Hello to everyone, I am a former lurker and new member. Although I think I have learned a lot by reading posts in this forum, I have no technical background whatsoever, unfortunately, so please be patient if I ask silly questions.

Here is one: I think I have read that a direct DAC-->power ampli connection is ok and is actually what many members of the forum do. If it is ok, then is the function of a preamplifier limited to that of providing volume control and input selection? I had formed the idea that a crucial function of a preamp was to amplify the signal to a level that a power amplifier could then work with. Maybe that's not so?

Or does it depend on the specs of the specific equipment used?

I was thinking of using this set up: windows10 computer-->Schiit modi 3-->power amplifier -->speakers. Volume would be controlled with the software used in the computer (JRiver).

I do not yet have a power amplifier, but I am planning to buy an Audiophonics MPA-S250NC (with Hypex Ncore NC252MP), if that matters.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
This is fine. The only issue is you are really depending on the software for volume control. A knob with a marker gives everyone in the house information about the volume setting.

A preamp is basically just a source selector and volume control yes. Most preamps also have some gain for when a source signal is weak. A passive preamp has no gain, only attenuation.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The MPA-S250NC will output max power at 1.84Vrms input with 8Ω load, 1.68Vrms with 4Ω load, and 1.0Vrms with 2Ω load.

Most XLR DACs will output 4.0Vrms with some doing up to 5Vrms, so you will definitely not require any preamplification.

Zek

Major Contributor
The only problem may be if the PC accidentally releases maximum power, and then the speakers will be damaged ...:oops:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. I also have traumas of Windows upgrading drivers or whatever and maximizes the volume and blasting through the speakers. I suggest at least an amp with gain control to set the lowest you need. Or else an in-line fixed attenuator along with the interconnect cables.

OP
Z

Zeno

Thank you everybody, all these answers are very useful and appreciated. Point taken about the pitfalls of controlling the volume through the PC. I might buy an XLR DAC with a volume knob.

If I may add another question: for now I have the Schiit modi3, which has RCA outputs. If I buy a power amplifier with XLR inputs, in anticipation of a new XLR DAC, would I be able to use the modi3 by means of simple RCA to XLR interconnects? Is there any drawback, in general, about such interconnects, or a need to pay attention to specific features of the connected equipment?

Thank you so much again!

OP
Z

Zeno

@Blumlein 88: thank you, that’s an interesting solution.

I also inquired with Audiophonics and they say there is no problem with using a pair of interconnects (btw, they were super responsive)

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thank you everybody, all these answers are very useful and appreciated. Point taken about the pitfalls of controlling the volume through the PC. I might buy an XLR DAC with a volume knob.

If I may add another question: for now I have the Schiit modi3, which has RCA outputs. If I buy a power amplifier with XLR inputs, in anticipation of a new XLR DAC, would I be able to use the modi3 by means of simple RCA to XLR interconnects? Is there any drawback, in general, about such interconnects, or a need to pay attention to specific features of the connected equipment?

Thank you so much again!
Are you planning to upgrade to balanced connections in the future? Because if you don't care, you can buy the audiophonics module in rca version and solve the problem at the root

OP
Z

Zeno

Are you planning to upgrade to balanced connections in the future? Because if you don't care, you can buy the audiophonics module in rca version and solve the problem at the root
Yes, I do plan to buy a DAC with XLR outputs. All the more so because I have now received my Audiophonics MPA-S250NC with XLR inputs and even though it works fine, I find I have to raise the volume way more than before to get a decent level of sound. I have tried both a simple chain: PC-->DAC (Schiit Mani3)-->Audiphonics, using the PC to control the volume, and a longer chain with a headphone amplifier that has pre outputs (Schiit Asgard 3, so: PC-->Mani3-->Asgard3-->Audiophonics), in which case I use the knob on the Asgard. In either case I use RCA to XLR interconnects. Am I wrong in thinking that the cause of the low sound level is the fact that I am going from RCA outputs to XLR inputs?

Top Bottom