• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did we ever meet out favorite artist in person.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In 1993 i visited NYC where i ran the NYC marahton. So i took the opportunty to visit a New York Knicks game an more important i visited (just after my run) the last Blue Note appearance of Chaka Khan an hopefully Marcus Millar (who would perform at this last perfomance as Bass player) at the NYC Blue Note venue. After the show i was aloud to visited back stage Miss Khan. First i had to introduce my self to one of the agents managers whatever. Than i got from here a CD with some cool remarks ha ha Price less. Anybody els with such sort of encounters like to hear them.
EH4CQLi.jpg

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
My favorite meeting with someone I idolized was with Jaki Byard, who is probably my favorite jazz pianist ever. There was a little quasi-underground club in Baltimore in the late '70s-early '80s, and Byard was playing a show there. Apparently, it wasn't well-promoted because other than my date and me, the club was basically empty. No matter, he played a full two hour show and was brilliant. Between sets, I went over to talk to him, and of course went full Chris Farley. "I'm a huge fan, I have all your albums!" He grinned and replied, "Oh, YOU'RE the guy!"

OP
Snarfie

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My favorite meeting with someone I idolized was with Jaki Byard, who is probably my favorite jazz pianist ever. There was a little quasi-underground club in Baltimore in the late '70s-early '80s, and Byard was playing a show there. Apparently, it wasn't well-promoted because other than my date and me, the club was basically empty. No matter, he played a full two hour show and was brilliant. Between sets, I went over to talk to him, and of course went full Chris Farley. "I'm a huge fan, I have all your albums!" He grinned and replied, "Oh, YOU'RE the guy!"
Great one of my favorit artist (basicly every week atleast i listen to one of his albums) Is Ahmad Jamal a jazz legend on piano. Hope he will perform one of this coming years at the North Sea jazz Festival here in Holland.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Leonard Cohen, somewhere on the East Coast, a really long time ago...

BillG

Major Contributor
Sure, plenty of them: Ray Charles, George Clinton, Maurice White, Eddie Van Halen, Perry Farrell, Chuck D., Flava Flav, Derrick May, Carl Cox, Goldie, Tricky.

I worked at Warner Brothers Records in Burbank for a couple of years, and I did music photography in New Zealand for a few years as well. That made it easy... :cool:

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I've met a number through the years at various times when I was playing, running sound, attending a concert, or just at a club somewhere (see my story about meeting Al Dimeola and Les Paul -- pretty sure I posted it here somewhere). Dizzy Gillespie, Wynton Marsalis, Hank Williams Jr (ran sound for him for a bit), Tammy Wynette, Doc Severinsen, Maynard Ferguson, Flip Oakes (made my horn), bunch of other trumpet players I don't recall off-hand (what can I say, it's what I do), Yo Yo Ma (went to school with a coworker), Lincoln Mayorga (a character), etc. etc. etc.

Never hired any of 'em, however...

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The whole Marsalis family, at the airport and on an airplane, I believe when Wynton, Branford and I were all teenagers. As I think of it we must have been late teens to very early 20s. I was on my way back to college and they were on their way to play in the same city. I showed Wynton I was listening to a cassette of his first album. I had seen Dizzy Gillespie introduce Wynton for his major professional introduction at a jazz festival so I recognized all of them before they were super-famous.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In the early 90s I got back stage passes for the TNN TV show Nashville Now.
TV host was Marty Stewart and special guest star was Jerry Lee Lewis.
Got to hang out with both of them after the show for about 45 minutes.
I was in such awe of being with Jerry Lee I couldn't think of much to say. LOL
But a night I'll never forget..

Have also hung out with Chicago blues artists such as Lonnie & Ronnie Brooks, (Partied with Lonnie for his 60th B-Day) Buddy Guy, Koko Taylor, a few more I can't remember right now.
Also spent a night partying with the Dr Hook band, that was fun.
Oh to go back to the days of small blues club venues in Chicago. I knew a few of the door people, etc then and could get back stage to hang out with everyone a lot.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the early 90s I got back stage passes for the TNN TV show Nashville Now.
TV host was Marty Stewart and special guest star was Jerry Lee Lewis.
Got to hang out with both of them after the show for about 45 minutes.
I was in such awe of being with Jerry Lee I couldn't think of much to say. LOL
But a night I'll never forget..

Have also hung out with Chicago blues artists such as Lonnie & Ronnie Brooks, (Partied with Lonnie for his 60th B-Day) Buddy Guy, Koko Taylor, a few more I can't remember right now.
Also spent a night partying with the Dr Hook band, that was fun.
Oh to go back to the days of small blues club venues in Chicago. I knew a few of the door people, etc then and could get back stage to hang out with everyone a lot.
I've one Lonnie Brooks CD. Live from Chicago, Bayou Lightning strikes!

Really good live album. Never seen him live, much less hang out on his 60th birthday. :)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Favourite artiste ?

st_20171006_yanzi06_3470274.jpg

Had the rare opportunity to hear her perform The Cranberries "Zombie" live, up close and personal before she released her first record album during my university hostel days.
Always thought that she was good then, but never in my wildest imagination saw how popular she would become since all those years ago. An estimated 30m copies in album sales over the last 20 years isn't too shabby I guess.

DKT88

I got to meet Joe Bonamassa at a show in Arizona. In college me and a girlfriend followed Roxy Music to their hotel after the show. Andy MacKay and Paul Thompson had drinks with us in the bar. Bryan would come out of his room.
me and joe.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I got to meet Joe Bonamassa at a show in Arizona. In college me and a girlfriend followed Roxy Music to their hotel after the show. Andy MacKay and Paul Thompson had drinks with us in the bar. Bryan would come out of his room.
View attachment 29114
Are you sure you didn't slip a little something to Bonamassa? His eyes look a little off somehow. :)

Do we need a thread for that. Have you ever drugged your favorite artist? Or did your favorite artist drug you?

DKT88

Are you sure you didn't slip a little something to Bonamassa? His eyes look a little off somehow. :)

Do we need a thread for that. Have you ever drugged your favorite artist? Or did your favorite artist drug you?
He had a deer in the headlights look.

Top Bottom