• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Did I reach DAC endgame with the Atom+

Scrub_Set

Besides getting a DAC with a balanced out for a balanced amp, is there an audio-quality reason to upgrade my DAC past this model? I see there are a lot of DACS that score better, but is it actually an audible improvement?

Wicky

In short no. There is no "objective" evidence I've come across to suggest anyone can distinguish between DACs that measure this well in a manner that will satisfy the scientifically / empirically minded i.e. a controlled ABX test.

Whether that satisfies your personal 'endgame' criteria is another matter :)

OP
S

Scrub_Set

Yep. Endgame reached. You're very far past the threshold of audibility for distortion.

I get about -39dB at best on a good day, but even at that point, I could really care less. Compare this number to the SINAD of your Atom+, and you'll find that it's pretty crazy.
I got a -36dB. I got pretty stressed out later in the test like am I going deaf? lol

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Endgame reached. You're very far past the threshold of audibility for distortion.

I get about -39dB at best on a good day, but even at that point, I could really care less. Compare this number to the SINAD of your Atom+, and you'll find that it's pretty crazy.
I got -45, but only on the two tone test. I wasn't better than -35 or so on music but stopped the test because I was just randomly guessing.

Tried again, and got -39 with the jstone music. Really puts the "poor" SINAD (around 80) of my Soundblaster dac into perspective.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Your personal audibility threshold for the particular test combination (stimulus and DUT) is -45 dB!

I don’t know how but maybe am sensitive to the distortion used. I picked it correct to the end. Maybe some luck involved. With the hearing damage I have I was/am very surprised.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Besides getting a DAC with a balanced out for a balanced amp, is there an audio-quality reason to upgrade my DAC past this model? I see there are a lot of DACS that score better, but is it actually an audible improvement?
End game?
For common sense - yes. Maybe an extra few bucks for balanced out.
For bragging rights. Definitely not!

Kevbaz

Agreed, no reason to upgrade past the Atom+.
I use the Atom+ as my desktop DAC with Atom Amp+ I cannot distinguish it apart from my RME ADI2 I use in my main room system both using Dan Clark Headphones.
Only reason to upgrade is if you need any features such as crossfeed, EQ, tone control, balanced etc
Kev

Top Bottom