• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desk speaker decoupling

alaios

Hi all,
have you tried to decouple desk speakers with such type of pads?

do they work according to your experience?
Also what would be the best orientation for my desktop listening
1684232673762.png

I am thinking for -10 degrees to make tweeter "shoot" directly at my ear but I want to get your input on this as well.Regards,

staticV3

Master Contributor
A tip for sharing links online:
Screenshot_20230516-123955_Chrome.png
The stuff marked red is all worthless tracking info that you don't have to include when posting the link. It can be just:

Much neater that way!

As for the angle, there are a few variables that dictate the optimal one.
Reference axis, on-axis response, directivity, preference, hearing loss to name a few.
I'd recommend you set up just one of the speakers in front of you in Mono, then have a friend or family tilt it at various angles while you listen carefully.
Once you've found your preferred angle, set up the stereo pair using that.

Last edited:
OP
A

alaios

thanks for the two tips you have provided.! Very useful. So you think that these decouple surface do indeed work right?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any absorber like that will only work right when it's thick compared to the wavelength to be absorbed. Usually about 1/8 wavelength or greater.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Any absorber like that will only work right when it's thick compared to the wavelength to be absorbed. Usually about 1/8 wavelength or greater.
It's not supposed to absorb sound. It's supposed to prevent cabinet vibrations from also vibrating your desk and whatever is on it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not supposed to absorb sound. It's supposed to prevent cabinet vibrations from also vibrating your desk and whatever is on it.
Ahhh! Nevermind....

audioholic63

Years ago I salvaged some medium density blue cellulose packing material from work before it could be thrown out. Large sheets in 1" and 2" thickness. The 2" was perfect for decoupling my Wharfedale Denton 80th speakers and getting to the right height. I had been using shims to tilt them a little when this pic was taken but have since removed as unnecessary.

zU6D8lF.jpg

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get some stands. Isoacoustic makes nice adjustable ones.

HedgeHog

I used the Auralex Subdude HT under a subwoofer - ~133lbs - (they are similar to the angled pads in the link) and, tbh, I can still feel the rumble on the ground. For my other sub - ~128lbs, in the 2nd floor - I used Isoacoutics ISO Pucks and cannot feel anything rumbling on the floor. So for the desktop speakers, I use the Isoacoutstics stands and they are very good for isolation and adjustable to boot.
fb988a5b-8b68-49c1-abb0-c57523760897_1.a635f9648fbe1874de77cf4eb5ed7dc3_9da7e7bb-1718-4dc3-87ef-08bd3095cbc8_500x.jpg

So, IMO, the Isoacoustics stuff may be a better solution (price notwithstanding).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 for IsoAcoustics, they are great.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You can temporarily stick something under the speakers to experiment with different angles. That will probably make a difference and probably an improvement if you can better-aim the tweeters at your ears. But try it first. ;)

Usually speaker "isolators" don't do anything unless you've got some kind of vibration problem... if the desk or something on the desk vibrating and making noise. Usually, very little energy is coming from the speaker cabinet... It mostly comes out of the driver (speaker) or the port.

...If you have a turntable on the same desk/shelf, you can sometimes get feedback because the phono preamp has high-gain. Isolation or adding mass or stiffening, etc., can help.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sylomer is the perfect material if you get the right surface for the weight of you speakers, much better than foam.
It does isolate a lot above its resonant frequency, and also has a good loss factor (especially the yellow SR11 variant).

I got mine from R-Drum in Germany: https://www.r-drums.com/english/manuals/construction-manual-e-drum-platform/

When properly setup the speakers do rock a bit when touched, so I would not use that for floorstanders, but it is perfectly adequate for desktop speakers.

PowerSerge

In my experience those foam pads do almost nothing. Most monitors I would try on my desk barely if at all vibrated especially at low to medium volumes. That midbass boom was there no matter what I set them on. The best thing you can do is move your desk back a little from the front wall and place the monitors on stands like I had them before I got a much bigger office. It got rid of most the boom but some was still there. The farther you can move your desk away from the monitors the better.
V8 Old Office.jpg

If you have to have them on the desk then get the tallest desk stands you can so that you can keep the monitors as far away from the desk surface/

Top Bottom