• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon x4800h, x3800h …power consumption in preamp mode?

Maab

Hello everyone,

I searched in vain online, and thus I’m hoping better luck here. I’m looking to replace an AVP with an AVR (never had an AVR before). I like the specs and functions of some Denon’s and I would like to know what the power consumption would be in preamp mode (with all the power amplifier section turned off) for Denon x4800h and x3800h. And, what would approx be the consumption if I had only a pair of small speakers hooked up for the rear? Does anyone know anything about this?Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
I have a much older version (x3400h) and whenever I turn it on without playing anything, it consumes around 70w. and if I play things (7x speakers) to quite loud, it hardly takes more than 80w, usually less than 75w.
so I would assume x4800h and x3800h to behave the same

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a much older version (x3400h) and whenever I turn it on without playing anything, it consumes around 70w. and if I play things (7x speakers) to quite loud, it hardly takes more than 80w, usually less than 75w.
so I would assume x4800h and x3800h to behave the same
Hi

I was about to reply the same. I have the X3400H and measure its consumption in 2-channels, eco mode, in preamp duty with no speakers attached. Consumption is ideed 70 watts (65 watts as measured ;)).
I would assume the 3800 or 4800 to be at least similar in preamp mode.

Peace.

OP
M

Maab

Thank you so much for the information, and that’s not too bad indeed, if that’s the case.

Jedi2155

I do have my entire home theatre connected to a Kasa power monitor which I can test tomorrow to show you standby loads with my configuration if you are super interested, I'm willing to switch it to pre-amp mode and see how the power changes, and then back again tonight.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just looked at the power consumption spec of a dedicated pre-pro (Marantz 7706) and it was cited as 60W, so not a lot different in any case....

lc6

Hello everyone,

I searched in vain online, and thus I’m hoping better luck here. I’m looking to replace an AVP with an AVR (never had an AVR before). I like the specs and functions of some Denon’s and I would like to know what the power consumption would be in preamp mode (with all the power amplifier section turned off) for Denon x4800h and x3800h. And, what would approx be the consumption if I had only a pair of small speakers hooked up for the rear? Does anyone know anything about this?Thank you for reading.

See my posts at:
Denon x3800H power measurements pt. 1
Denon x3800H power measurements pt. 2

superlupo

lc6, thanks for your measurements, I was asking myself the same question. I think it's crazy that even when nothing is played, the Denon uses around 50W even in ECO mode. My active speakers use much less power even when playing at moderate volumes, and any small Chinese amp (like Fosi) is way more efficient. Also, an Apple TV certainly needs <10W when decoding 4K HDR content and repackaging Atmos audio.
It seems AVRs have a complex legacy design.

Jedi2155

I can tell you that in standby mode the power draw is minimal as well on my Kasa EP25P4 where I have my X4800h + MX1280 multi-zone amplifier + network switch etc. which draws altogether about 5.8w standby. Powering up the AVR bumps to 100w and slowly drops over the subsequent few minutes (likely due to all the capacitors being fully charged and warmed up). After 3 minutes it reached 92w, 5 minutes about < 90w.
This isn't pre-amp though.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In full pre-amp mode the Denon 4700 uses 46W when only using external amplification. This reading stays the same no matter what mode or volume is selected in Stereo, 7.2, Auro-3D or another config. My bet is the 4800 full preamp mode offers the same power reading with Kilo-watt measurements.

Last edited:

superlupo

I can tell you that in standby mode the power draw is minimal
Yeah, I know in standby it's very low, according to documentation:
Power consumption in standby mode: 0.1 W ∗

Power consumption in CEC standby mode: 0.5 W

* When “Network Control” in the menu is set to “Off In Standby” and “HDMI Pass Through” is set to “Off”.

Top Bottom