• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denim Insulation

AudioSQ

My wife orders one of those meal subscription boxes and they insulate it with what looks like denim insulation. Could I use that to make acoustic panels?

I've used it to line speaker boxes before so I've been keeping all of it in case an opportunity presented itself. I imagine it wouldn't be as good as the panels I bought, but seeing how I currently appear to have a growing supply of it.. maybe worth a shot or is it really not close enough to what they use in actual panels to be worth the effort? Anybody know? Thanks!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone tested this stuff independently? A .95 absorption coefficient at 125Hz with 3.5" thickness is quite unbelievable, 100mm thickness 48 kg/m3 mineral wool is only .65 at 125Hz unless my memory is faulty.

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

Looks about like what they're sending, mine is thinner, but I can just do a few layers. I think I can make a few for under $100 so why not. I'll probably just grab some 1x4x8 planks and get to cutting. Thanks!

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

I threw a couple together, but obviously I still need to cover them in fabric. Hopefully the fabric will do a good job of covering up my terrible craftsmanship. I think I'll probably make one more but I'll have to wait on more insulation as I used up most of my supply.
IMG_20210527_001934_DRO_compress81.jpg

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

As they are currently constructed the insulation is slightly thicker than the frame. When I cover them it will mash it down a little, although I don't think a lot. Will that have any ill effects to their intended purpose? Also if I wanted to do a layer of batting to help hide uneven seems and screws will that be ok? I think it's pretty breathable. I'm guessing I'll just go with burlap for the covers. Thanks!

Tio

Hi, sorry for replying to an old thread. How does your denim wool panel perform? Is it good? I try to build mine, but after measuring my speaker freq. response with and without it, there are no significant changes to the RT60 (Topt, T20, T30). So I'm curious about yours.

OP
AudioSQ

AudioSQ

I wouldn't say their addition was significant. Perhaps because I already had several other panels.

Top Bottom