• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dedicated DAC vs using Squeezebox Touch analog outputs?

Saturn94

Currently for my headphone setup I’m using a Squeezebox Touch‘s analog outputs to my JDS Atom+ headphone amp. The Touch is being used as a Roon endpoint. Headphones are Drop+DCA Aeon Closed X. This setup sounds great to me, but I have very limited experience in this area.

How likely would adding a DAC, such as the JDS DAC+, and using the Touch’s digital optical output to the DAC result in an real audible improvement in my setup?

Based on these reviews, it seems the Touch measures well.

To be clear, I’m not interested in chasing the best numbers. I’m wondering if based on measurements if there is any likely audible improvement to be had by adding a DAC. If there isn’t a likely audible improvement to be had, I’d rather spend the money on more music. ;):)

Thanks.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing to gain in my book. Linearity could be better, just like my topping nx4 and I can’t say I notice the LF/HF droop at all.

OP
Saturn94

Saturn94

Not very likely, but sounds like you knew that already.

Thanks. :)

I wasn’t sure, so I figured I would get feedback from those with more experience (I’ve never used a separate DAC before).

Top Bottom