• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Daphile, Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles

rallychief

Ok no start button, maybe a little bit of confusion, where is the "info tab" you are referring to, i may be in the wrong place, despite searching high and low lol.

Cheers Chris

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
daphile_backup_settings.png
daphile_backup_info.png

rallychief

Ah ha ever felt stupid, how could i have missed that great big button marked info, i see an optician visit in the near future lol, so got that now, should succeed now, in the meantime as a workaround, i put my network name into workgroup in daphile network, rebooted, i now have daphile listed as a device on network, which i can open from a laptop, and drag files to an attached drive, transferred some, i will complete the task the proper way, many many thanks for your help, think i am going to like this forum.

Cheers Chris

CMOT

Thinking about building a Daphile server. One question I can't seem to really fine an answer to is what is the minimal REASONABLE configuration for a miniPC or Mac mini in terms of processor and RAM (not storage). Would Core Duo with 4GB from 2009 work okay? Or do I need to move to something like an i3 with 8GB?
thanks!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It runs fine on an old single core Pentium M laptop underclocked to stop the fan spinning, an old netbook (Atom 220, 2GB RAM), or thin clients, so your options are probably more than enough. Even the Pentium M could cope with running BruteFIR for the local player instance with 'normal' settings. If you install something like the BrutefirDRC plugin for server side convolution to multiple rooms at high sample rates or with very long convolutions then you could push the CPU capabilities, but that's not exactly a normal configuration.

iano

Forum Donor
Like somebodyelse says, it does not have to take a lot of computing power. I love Daphile.

I use BruteFir only for EQ, not for convolution, and I do not usually use resampling to any significant extent but I currently have three mini pc setups around the house that I now do all my listening from. Two are on Chuwi mini pc's (Larkbox Pro and Herobox), and one on a pretty old Celeron Intel NUC box. I have tried many of the other audio distributions, volumio, picoreplayer and moode audio (the latter two on raspberry pi setups) and I have found them all excellent in different ways, but I have settled on daphile primarily because I have found it super simple to setup, and reliable, with excellent sound.

BTW - I generally only use headphones, not speakers, and listen to my headphones from speaker taps of small generally class D amps (for their size in particular) - and have gotten great enjoyment from this. Some of the most recent smaller amps, like the TPA3255, and latest class D modules (from Infineon, Icepower, Hypex etc) I have found offer really excellent quality - excellent at least to my 64 year old ears.

It does mean I am sort of limited to DAC's with USB input, but there are so many excellent low cost ones available its really no problem as far as I am concerned, in fact it provides a great basis for me trying out different USB dacs. I almost get as much enjoyment listening to the same music through different DAC/amp combinations as listening to the music itself :)

CMOT

Thanks all. I already have an excellent DAC with a USB input. So really just need the mini pc or whatever. I think I have a stack of old MacMini Core Duo's in my office, so might grab and try one of those...

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
hello sir! is there an EQ feature in daphile if i were to enable the bruteFIR function?
and where is that EQ button??
Once BruteFIR is enabled (see post #29) you'll get an extra button at the bottom right of the 'Audio Player' screen with an icon showing 3 sliders as shown in the screenshot. Hover over it and you should get a 'BruteFIR Controls' tool tip. Click on it and you'll get the control window shown. You can enable or disable the convolution which uses the files configured in the Settings where you enabled BruteFIR, and the fixed 10 band graphic EQ shown. You need to use something external (REW or similar) to generate the convolution files.
daphile_brutefir_eq.png

aliens72

Hi there, i m using daphile from one week and i happy with it, so i'd like to know if there is a way to display the lyrics ? i see a 3rd part pluging but not works, thanks

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hi there, i m using daphile from one week and i happy with it, so i'd like to know if there is a way to display the lyrics ? i see a 3rd part pluging but not works, thanks
Welcome Aboard @aliens72.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I guess you mean the 'Music and Artist Information' LMS plugin. Once that's enabled, if you navigate to the track info (say 'Home'->'All albums'->'some album'->'a track') it will show in the left pane a load of info like track number, format, duration, file location etc. Towards the end you should see 'Lyrics' - click on it to see them. If it's a track in the current playlist then just click on the track title in the playlist to get to the track info page. I've not tried this in daphile but the skin modifications are relatively minor and don't usually stop things working, but it's not impossible that it has. In that case you can just use the normal LMS web interface that's available on port 9000 - say you'd usually access daphile via http://my-daphile.local/ the normal LMS will be at http://my-daphile.local:9000/ - you can also use this route to get to the Material Skin version of the interface if you enable that plugin for a more mobile-friendly web interface.

aliens72

I guess you mean the 'Music and Artist Information' LMS plugin. Once that's enabled, if you navigate to the track info (say 'Home'->'All albums'->'some album'->'a track') it will show in the left pane a load of info like track number, format, duration, file location etc. Towards the end you should see 'Lyrics' - click on it to see them. If it's a track in the current playlist then just click on the track title in the playlist to get to the track info page. I've not tried this in daphile but the skin modifications are relatively minor and don't usually stop things working, but it's not impossible that it has. In that case you can just use the normal LMS web interface that's available on port 9000 - say you'd usually access daphile via http://my-daphile.local/ the normal LMS will be at http://my-daphile.local:9000/ - you can also use this route to get to the Material Skin version of the interface if you enable that plugin for a more mobile-friendly web interface.

Thanks i've done it but on most of the songs appears this message:

i'm sorry i didn't find any relevant information

aliens72

Now it's ok maybe a problem with my connection.
I have others questions about this software, i installed daphile 64bit on a thin client with a Fiio E10K DAC.
The music source is a 2TB WD GREEN USB connected to a sharing folder on a PCwin 10.

1- if i install LMS on the PC source the quality of the music could change in better? i listen many FLAC files 16 bit and 24 bit
2- There is a Daphile Real time iso on the web, i'd like to know if could be good for my configuration

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
1. No quality difference, but possibly as a practical consideration. I think daphile has automatic rescan enabled by default, so if LMS is on the thin client and runs a rescan while the PC is off you may end up with an empty collection, then another rebuild when it's available again. You can disable automatic rescans and run them manually whenever you add music to the collection.
2. If it was generally beneficial it would now be the default.

aliens72

1. No quality difference, but possibly as a practical consideration. I think daphile has automatic rescan enabled by default, so if LMS is on the thin client and runs a rescan while the PC is off you may end up with an empty collection, then another rebuild when it's available again. You can disable automatic rescans and run them manually whenever you add music to the collection.
2. If it was generally beneficial it would now be the default.

The LMS it's not on the client but i'd like to install on the PC Win (server), and for the real time what's the goal to use it?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Sorry I wasn't clearer - installing LMS on the PC is fine and won't make a difference to the sound. When it's running on the PC there's no problem with automatic rescanning as the files will be local. When it's running on the thin client, but with the files stored on the PC, you might want to disable automatic rescanning.

Using a linux kernel with realtime extensions can in theory reduce the risk of dropouts, but only if critical bits are modified to work with it. In the real world dropouts are very rare anyway so you're not getting a noticable improvement, plus it's less well tested and may not be compatible with some hardware. Some people want it anyway, so it's there as an option - at least that's my understanding of why.

Top Bottom