• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Danger of dBA vs. dBC Noise Levels

Harassed Neighbor

Our neighbors are harassing us and we believe are using a low frequency audio attack. My sound meter records a dBA reading of 0, but the same meter records a dBC reading of 30-45 dBC. I assume this implies they are emitting a low frequency audio signal in the less than 0-2k range. Is this dangerous? I am sensing a small level of ear ringing. How can I prove it (equipment and method)? I’m a novice, not a professional.

boxerfan88

Cross check readings with a phone app.

On iPhone, you can use Dynaudio Meter app, or another one called dB Meter.

Beave

Major Contributor
Neighbors as in the house next door or neighbors as in the apartment next door (or above or below you)?

Sokel

Master Contributor
There's no such thing as 0db in a domestic environment.
First reading should read something like 30-40db in a quiet environment.

Try another app.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I assume this implies they are emitting a low frequency audio signal in the less than 0-2k range. Is this dangerous
High sound volumes are dangerous to your hearing, but I'm not aware of any evidence that low frequencies are particularly dangerous. If it was dangerous, large cathedral organs would pose a risk.

There are lots of reasons why your brain detects resonances in your ears. Quite a lot of them are not external, e.g. tinnitus which has a low frequency version associated with Ménière's Disease. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686891/

OldTimer

High sound volumes are dangerous to your hearing, but I'm not aware of any evidence that low frequencies are particularly dangerous. If it was dangerous, large cathedral organs would pose a risk.

There are lots of reasons why your brain detects resonances in your ears. Quite a lot of them are not external, e.g. tinnitus which has a low frequency version associated with Ménière's Disease. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686891/
Is it caused by sub-woofer? All day long music with subs.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Our neighbors are harassing us and we believe are using a low frequency audio attack.

When you say "are harassing us", do you mean that they have been antagonizing you deliberately in other ways, and now just up the game by playing loud music?

Do they have any reason to show hostile behavior? Do the attack manifest itself as an audible rumble, or do you go purely by a suspicion?

Have you tried talking to them in a calm manner?

My sound meter records a dBA reading of 0, but the same meter records a dBC reading of 30-45 dBC. I assume this implies they are emitting a low frequency audio signal in the less than 0-2k range. Is this dangerous? I am sensing a small level of ear ringing. How can I prove it (equipment and method)? I’m a novice, not a professional.

I assume you mean "in the 0-2k range". Less than 0Hz can't really be done :D

30-45 dB doesn't sound like much, even with C weighting. I'm thinking it's simply road noise and/or rumble from building utilities.

I suggest doing the same measurements both outside and other places inside the building to gain some perspective.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
30-45 dB doesn't sound like much, even with C weighting. I'm thinking it's simply road noise and/or rumble from building utilities.
Yeah. Not sure where we're supposed to go here.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One reason I moved to the middle of nowhere is the low noise floor, for accurate listening. But if you live near civilization, you'll get numbers like you do.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Convince him/her to make peace with the neighbors (fat chance), or to go to a psychiatrist (even fatter chance).

Or maybe just go to an ENT doctor to find the real reason for that ear ringing :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Convince him/her to make peace with the neighbors (fat chance), or to go to a psychiatrist (even fatter chance).
When I lived in a condominium near a traffic circle I accepted a certain amount of noise. And we have no particular reason right now to think the neighbors are responsible.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still, in the spirit of preemptive action, I have to recommend confronting the neighbors, and not taking No for an answer!

/I have lots of bad ideas.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Still, in the spirit of preemptive action, I have to recommend confronting the neighbors, and not taking No for an answer!

/I have lots of bad ideas.

A better idea is to fight fire with fire: get 2-3 subwoofers and set them up to play constantly, at a higher level than the neighbor's.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A better idea is to fight fire with fire: get 2-3 subwoofers and set them up to play constantly, at a higher level than the neighbor's.
That. Occasionally screaming and beating on the wall will get the message across!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NOISE-LEVEL-DECIBEL-CHART.png

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
First try to reason with them...

No joy? Then go nuclear with large subs and dubstep.

Last edited:
Top Bottom