• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Randomly Stops Working

ThomDanks

Post adding an additional m.2 drive to my pc Ive noticed when I get up and leave for awhile my SGD1 stops working. All lights seem to stay on, no real indication that the sound has stopped besides the lack of sound itself. Windows still recognizes the DAC, just no sound. Resetting the DAC fixes the problem, sometimes pulling the USB and Replugging the USB solves the problem.

It seems pretty consistent since the hardware update, changing USB ports makes no difference.

I'd hope I could perhaps find some insight here given Ben himself is here. Its still in warranty so I could ship it back to see what's up; but, I had wondered if there was perhaps something to do with windows sounds settings themselves that could be causing this issue.

Ive also noticed some crosstalk if I set my phone near my headphone wires, but that seems like a normal phenomena.

Long time lurker, finally making an account.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Post adding an additional m.2 drive to my pc Ive noticed when I get up and leave for awhile my SGD1 stops working.

I had an issue with a new Asrock MB when placing a second M.2 SSD in the second slot. It locked up over and over and eventually killed the 2nd SSD! I mean dead. It was replaced under warranty (the M.2) and I used a SATA port instead for the SSD. No problems after that.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I wonder if the PC is putting that USB port to sleep or power saving mode? I've seen this happen and had to configure the OS not to do that.

OP
T

ThomDanks

Let me try the black socket, ill doublecheck the drivers. It worries me as I just myself added a new m.2 drive in the second slot. Ive not actually seen problems with the new m.2 but instead with the DAC, I'd hate to see the DAC die.

Edit: Updated Driver, Changed USB Slot still happens.
It seems to only happen when I get up and walk away, then come back which makes me wonder if it has to do with ESD potentially travelling through my headphones. It doesnt make full sense though as it would need to travel through my amp first which does not seem to be the problem.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
When you get up and walk away, do you leave music playing?
If not, then the computer could be marking the USB port as "not in use" and putting it to sleep to conserve power.
If yes, then sleep should not be an issue since the computer "thinks" the port is in use.

jjmanda

"I had wondered if there was perhaps something to do with windows sounds settings themselves that could be causing this issue. "

I have a problem where my music player sending output to my DAC would randomly stop. So today I went into the Power Options Advanced Settings and disabled the "USB selective suspend setting".

We'll see if that does it.

Last edited:
OP
T

ThomDanks

Well give that a try, Ive been more careful about ESD through the wire as well. Im willing to believe the DAC has a failsafe that might be partially tripping as I know there's one on the back.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a somehow similar issue with my D90 with USB input.
I noted that the issue is an Amazon basic 15 foot USB cable.
I even wanted to make a thread to prove that USB cable "sound" can matter :p

OP
T

ThomDanks

So it did turn out to be an ESD issue, switching ports and moving the computer itself to a more grounded position fixed the problem.
What can I take from this? Maybe replace the coord on my DT1990s with something a bit more insulated, I'm on the cables dont matter train but if im getting crosstalk from my cellphone when I leave it on my desk, and light ESD is turning off my equipment, getting something perhaps braided or simply more insulated might be the ticket here.

Top Bottom