• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC+Amp for Focal Clear, HD600 (around 400$)

Tks

Major Contributor
Checked again, DX3 pro and SMSL m500 both could run hd600 properly. I still look for the best one in my budget.

Currently look like Atom is the best candidate. They have a little bit of channel imbalance though. Don't know if I could recognize this or not since I don't have a chance to test Atom.

What would improve after you change the volume knob?

Currently I only listen though my hp probook 450g1, mac & imac are in the office. So I am looking for a best dac, amp in my budget to improve the sound

You say the Atom is good. But that's only an amp, from the title, it seemed like you wanted a DAC + AMP. If you're going for bang for buck, then yeah, I am not understanding why the Atom is the best candidate seeing as how that's only half of your equation?

And no change a volume knob doesn't improve sound, you'd have to change the whole volume pot itself which will require soldering, and other considerations.

Also, you said your budget is $400. If that's the case, then the Atom + D50S is virtually the best performance for the price.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Thanks, these 2 quite beyond my budget but their specs is great. Hope they would discount in black friday.

So the Sabaj D5 is definitely not beyond your budget spec. (Although I don't know where you're shipping to so that may be a factor.)
  • It's currently US $407 (after you apply coupons) on AliExpress
  • It was briefly available for US ~$350 on Black Friday from AliExpress, at least according to this ASR member. Which means you might see another sub-$400 price again on Cyber Monday.
  • It's US $399 on HiFi Express

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks

john5220

why do people say the Atom is best bang for the buck? I did a lot of research on this and I ended up with the Cavalli Liquid Spark AMP because any advantage the Atom has over it is inaudible to human ear and the Spark has full Aluminum Build. But I can understanding supporting JDS since they use NwAvGuy Objective Design and they are an American company that has world class customer service. Anybody who supports NwAvGuy in anyway deserves full recognition.

the word "ODAC" sounds so f*cking cool....

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
smsl M500, topping dx7 pro, topping e30/d50s into jds atom.

I think those are the best in that price range.

Reactions: Tks
Top Bottom