• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC+Amp for Focal Clear, HD600 (around 400$)

tamio

Hi, I am using HD600, Focal Clear and Soranik sp3 custom (sensitive, can hear the background noise through imac, macbook, idac2). With these kind of equipments, could you guys help me to choose a good desktop dac, amp based on scientific measurements and objective opinions.
I used to have
- Darkvoice amp: sound signature of HD600 changed, headroom is bigger
- Ifi Idac 2: not so impressed with this unit, It can't eliminate background noise of my iems

I read reviews of DX3 pro, SMSL M500 but It looks like they don't really suitable for HD600

JIW

The Monoprice THX 887 or the JDS Atom or EL amp (and a DAC of your choice) may solve your noise issue.

They all manage over 90 dB SNR at 50 mV RMS meaning less than 1.6 µV RMS residual noise. Unless your IEMs have a sensitivity higher than 116 dB at 1 V RMS, that should be 'silent' enough while still being able to provide enough voltage to the HD600 and enough current to the Clear.

For comparison, the ifi has about 6 µV RMS A-weighted residual noise which is audible for IEMs with a sensitivity higher than 104 dB at 1 V RMS.

The noise from the DAC will be attenuated by the volume control so is less of a concern. However, with an analog volume control you might have issues with channel balance at low levels. Thus, attenuating the signal digitally may improve things.

The DX3 Pro only manages a SNR of 83 dB at 50 mV RMS which results in audible noise for any IEM with sensitivity higher than 109 dB at 1 V RMS. However, that may be good enough for you.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
- Ifi Idac 2: not so impressed with this unit, It can't eliminate background noise of my iems

That's why ifi made THIS.
It solves your problem with the IEM.
When your other headphones play fine from the ifi and DV you can save a lot of cash with just buying the ifi iematch

bequietjk

I really enjoyed the Atom(High gain) + HD600. Really good value. Although, I now use a Bottlehead Crack to power my HD600 which is a tube amp and powers them amazingly. Furthermore, I believe with the HD600 it comes down to voltage swing and getting proper voltage to it.

My suggestion would be Atom + Khadas Tone Board as that is what I've heard and recommend in that price range.

Hope this helps.

OP
T

tamio

Hmm, DX7 Pro?

Sabaj D5?

Thanks, these 2 quite beyond my budget but their specs is great. Hope they would discount in black friday.

The Monoprice THX 887 or the JDS Atom or EL amp (and a DAC of your choice) may solve your noise issue.

They all manage over 90 dB SNR at 50 mV RMS meaning less than 1.6 µV RMS residual noise. Unless your IEMs have a sensitivity higher than 116 dB at 1 V RMS, that should be 'silent' enough while still being able to provide enough voltage to the HD600 and enough current to the Clear.

For comparison, the ifi has about 6 µV RMS A-weighted residual noise which is audible for IEMs with a sensitivity higher than 104 dB at 1 V RMS.

The noise from the DAC will be attenuated by the volume control so is less of a concern. However, with an analog volume control you might have issues with channel balance at low levels. Thus, attenuating the signal digitally may improve things.

The DX3 Pro only manages a SNR of 83 dB at 50 mV RMS which results in audible noise for any IEM with sensitivity higher than 109 dB at 1 V RMS. However, that may be good enough for you.
Omg, almost forgot about the Atom. I used to look for it but can't find it in my area.

OP
T

tamio

That's why ifi made THIS.
It solves your problem with the IEM.
When your other headphones play fine from the ifi and DV you can save a lot of cash with just buying the ifi iematch
Ye, I use IEmatch everyday. Recommend for everyone who find background noise is annoying

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So it solved the background noise but you are otherwise still not happy with it ?
What improvements are you looking/hoping for ?

Tks

Major Contributor
Holdon ..I just realized something. Why wouldn't a DX3 Pro be good for HD600's just wondering? Works fine with my HD6XX or 58X perfectly.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I run a D50s + JDS Atom with my Focal Clear and have been very pleased with this set up FWIW. Hits your price point too.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You won't go far wrong with a D50s + Atom. I'm very happy with my setup, especially after I 'upgraded' the volume knob yesterday...

20191124_132610.jpg

OP
T

tamio

Holdon ..I just realized something. Why wouldn't a DX3 Pro be good for HD600's just wondering? Works fine with my HD6XX or 58X perfectly.
Checked again, DX3 pro and SMSL m500 both could run hd600 properly. I still look for the best one in my budget.

Currently look like Atom is the best candidate. They have a little bit of channel imbalance though. Don't know if I could recognize this or not since I don't have a chance to test Atom.

You won't go far wrong with a D50s + Atom. I'm very happy with my setup, especially after I 'upgraded' the volume knob yesterday...
What would improve after you change the volume knob?

So it solved the background noise but you are otherwise still not happy with it ?
What improvements are you looking/hoping for ?
Currently I only listen though my hp probook 450g1, mac & imac are in the office. So I am looking for a best dac, amp in my budget to improve the sound

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you don't listen at very loud levels on the HD600 then both DX3 pro, SMSL M500 will be more than suited as well besides all the proposed systems.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would improve after you change the volume knob?

Certainly not the sound! The stock knob is plastic, a lot shallower and a slightly larger in diameter. This means there's not much of a gap between the knob, the headphone plug, gain button or the surface the amp is sitting on. This can make it a little fiddly to adjust the volume. The replacement knob is a lot easier to get hold of and nicer to touch. I've also raised the Atom by 8mm with larger rubber feet.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks... purchased... :)

FYI - The white plastic diffuser behind the knob had come loose on my Atom. This made the new knob start rubbing around 1 o'clock. So I popped the top off, secured the diffuser with some double sided and put a very small amount of shredder oil (it was close!) on the back of the knob and it's all good now.

HDavidson

I also have a focal clear. Topping D70 with SMSL SP200 THX works very well. Did not try xlr because the symmetric cable is broken. But in rca ... top! SMSL SP200 has a lot of power and very detailed with amplification THX.

I make focal clear correction with MathAudio Headphone EQ and crossfeed. Mair for each one, the filters can be different. It depends on the shape of the ears. We must scan.

Attachments

• Sans-titre.jpg
    Sans-titre.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

bequietjk

Oooo. Right, the SP200.

What about...

SMSL SP200 + Khadas Tone Board
Or..
The Element II

Top Bottom