• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC/Amp Combo suggestion - Inputs welcomed!

Happy new year to everyone!

After my quest for a portable combo of nice IEM's + Portable DAC/Amp (which ended up in acquiring the iBasso IT01 + Topping NX4 DSD), it's now time to go after the DAC + Amp Combo form desktop use at home. They'll be driving a set of HIFIMAN's HE400i headphones.

I don't have a fixed budget but I'm looking for the best value-for-the-money set.

As for the headphone amp, after reading several reviews and tests, I am almost decided in getting the JDS Labs Atom. But other suggestions are welcomed.

Regarding the DAC I am thinking on the Topping D10 USB DAC - at € 85,00 Euros is a bargain.

I also looked at the DX3 Pro at 219€, which I am aware could be use standalone, since is a DAC and Amp, and deals with higher resolution files than the D10 (not that I use those higher res DSD files...), and I also noticed the D50 unit (€ 249,00) which, DAC-wise, in specs seems to be very close to the DX3Pro. What are the differences?!

Any other recommendations are very welcomed.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Happy new year.
It sounds like you already did all the necessary research.
I would advise against the DX3 Pro due to all the issues discussed in the the review thread and it also makes me a bit hesitant to recommend any other Topping product.
I can vouch for the D10 + Atom combo based on measurements. If you want to avoid Topping, I'll suggest SMSL M8 or JDS Labs EL DAC instead.

Veri

Master Contributor
Happy new year.
It sounds like you already did all the necessary research.
I would advise against the DX3 Pro due to all the issues discussed in the the review thread and it also makes me a bit hesitant to recommend any other Topping product.
I can vouch for the D10 + Atom combo based on measurements. If you want to avoid Topping, I'll suggest SMSL M8 or JDS Labs EL DAC instead.
I believe the majority of people have no problems with theirs. I would be pissed if my unit acted up of course so I understand the concern, that's why I went for EU reseller instead of China import to have the benefit of easy warranty in the case of problems.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I believe the majority of people have no problems with theirs.
I don't consider >50% users having no issues a success criteria - something like >99% would be more appropriate, don't you think? We don't know how big a portion of the users are affected anyway. The sheer amount of problems reported is a cause for concern.

Veri

Master Contributor
Obviously not all users of the device are on-line posting on the internet ;) those with issues are more inclined to make an account and post about it than those without. But I still understand your concern, a fault rate of 1% even would be quite high. imo.

Top Bottom